Did Brexit kill AlieExpress?

Have a few things in my wish list on Ali.

Had a look this morning and shipping for many items is now £35 plus. Free shipping has vanished on most items with others no longer shipping to the UK.

This would make AliExpress useless for UK sellers (and devastating to anyone who dropships?)

It would seem that this was pre-Brexit but the EU postponed the decision and we went ahead with it !

Soldato
OP
Thinking about it businesses will claim back the VAT.

It is the individuals who will be paying over the odds for their items.

No one was avoiding taxes it was part of the agreement I assume.

edit: Many of my items have now reverted to free shipping. Others haven't. Odd.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Thinking about it businesses will claim back the VAT.

It is the individuals who will be paying over the odds for their items.

No one was avoiding taxes it was part of the agreement I assume.

edit: Many of my items have now reverted to free shipping. Others haven't. Odd.

The individuals will be paying the correct amount for their items. The VAT should have been paid by the customer before the items were delivered to them in the UK. In many cases the VAT was evaded by the goods being misdeclared by the seller, sometimes at the behest of the buyer.

Free shipping options may have appeared as non-air freight seems to be opening up again.

Soldato
Jack Ma has also fallen foul of the Chinese Communist Party so probably needs more money for bribes.

But on the British side, I approve of this move. Tax does need to be collected.

Soldato
The personal ~£18 gift threshold for vat is now removed too - from same discussion in brexit thread.

But, yes will be interesting to see how ebay will react (should have already) to ensure compliance, is there a grace period.?

Soldato
According to my shipping agent it is also down to less flight capacity from China to the UK. For example FedEx only has 1/3 usual capacity which is driving up cargo prices.

Soldato
The personal ~£18 gift threshold for vat is now removed too - from same discussion in brexit thread.

But, yes will be interesting to see how ebay will react (should have already) to ensure compliance, is there a grace period.?
So if I buy a tshirt for £12 from abroad i have to deal with getting charged by royal fail and the tax man? benefits of brexit eh.. sigh.

Back
Top Bottom