• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Did I just lost my GTX 1070 ti ?

Associate
Hello,
My new GTX 1070 ti's fans stopped working, first the screen went green and I restarted the PC I switched the HDMI to the motherboard to be sure that if the problem is from the GPU. Then I switched the HDMI to the GPU again, it worked but the fans weren't moving. I knew something has broke in the GPU.
I tried to touch the back plate of the GPU and I got an electric shock ! I knew it's my PSU is the cause of the problem as I lost a 780 classified because of this PSU.
It's a cooler master V650, it worked nice for years then one day I was playing far cry 3 which is a heavy game, then because of maybe drawing a lot of current by the GPU, the PSU overheated and the 12V rail broke. Then after a lot of efforts to fix it, eventually I managed to replace the 12V rail mosfets and the PSU worked! But I didn't know that there still a short somewhere in the PSU and now I'm pretty sure that the PSU isn't %100 working correctly!
I took the GPU out now and I'm working on the motherboard HDMI, but the there still an electric leak on the system over all. So if I touch anything metal on the rig, I would get a small shock.
I'm for sure placing a new PSU and GPU on I chose these:

** No Competitors **
What you think guys, could I save my GTX 1070 ti ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Man of Honour
Sounds like the psu bricked the gpu and to be honest I would have replaced that psu the first time it killed a card. You are lucky that it hasn't fried anything else. Is the 1070ti still in warranty? If so RMA it and hopefully it will be repaired or replaced. Definately buy a new psu and don't use the pc until you replace it.

Soldato
It sounds like the transformer in the PSU has shorted and is passing mains through the DC lines, I would sling that in the bin ASAP!

Soldato
Why would you keep using a PSU that you know is faulty?that is the one part you pretty much need to replace if you have any doubts about it whatsoever.

Yeah it sounds like the card is gone with the dodos.
Exactly. You never continue using a suspect PSU, they're are the heart of the system and can take everything with it.

Associate
I feel really bad for you man, it sucks when any parts go. but when the PSU starts going it's like a dodgy american gun nut... if it decides to go, it's taking a whole lot of others with it.
Lots of other parts wont really matter (in comparison) if they go. But never keep a dying PSU in the rig.

Man of Honour
GPU probably dead. But replace the PSU and try it again. You might be lucky when there is no short.

But do not switch on that PC again until you replace that PSU. Honestly you shpuld have replaced it the first time. The PSU is one thing I won't scrimp on as it's not worth the risk.

Associate
OP
Hi guys .. sorry for the late reply. I've been travelling and was really tired the couple days ago.

Sounds like the psu bricked the gpu and to be honest I would have replaced that psu the first time it killed a card. You are lucky that it hasn't fried anything else. Is the 1070ti still in warranty? If so RMA it and hopefully it will be repaired or replaced. Definately buy a new psu and don't use the pc until you replace it.

The thing that was unclear to me that the PSU is the reason for losing the 780 classified ! I thought the 780 classy was gone because I was moving the rig around and took it with me along my trips to and back my hometown.

Yeah the 1070 ti is under warranty, I just got it like 3-4 months ago, but the cause that broke the GPU is me and my faulty PSU, do you think it's fair to RMA the card?

Why would you keep using a PSU that you know is faulty?that is the one part you pretty much need to replace if you have any doubts about it whatsoever.

Yeah it sounds like the card is gone with the dodos.

I didn't think a small leaking current would kill the GPU, I should have took that issue more seriously !!

lol I really laughed for the dodos after searching for it :p

Sorry for your loss

Yeah thanks man ..

It sounds like the transformer in the PSU has shorted and is passing mains through the DC lines, I would sling that in the bin ASAP!

Thank you so much for the tip, I should check that later. I want to take that PSU on my bench and just connect it to the mains and check leaking currents, but I want to do that without touch the PSU case every time. Is there a way to check for the leaking currents?

You get a shock off the case? sure its not just static build up?

Yep, I knew it's the PSU eventually !! but after losing 2 GPUs, I should take things more seriously !

I guess it's goodbye to the GPU. And as others had said, bin the PSU.

How to bin the PSU?

I'm surprised by what I read here.

Why?

Exactly. You never continue using a suspect PSU, they're are the heart of the system and can take everything with it.

Now the GPU is gone .. but why it didn't broke the CPU, the RAMs, HDDs ... etc? Why only the GPUs I lose .. but wait a minute, actually there's a story with my rig when I first built it.

First time I built the rig, I bought the GTX 770 SC, and I shipped it one day to my hometown with airlines cargo, and with putting fragile stickers on the box, they didn't care and threw the box with the other stuff, the mistake I did is that I didn't screw the 770 to the case !!!

So with one hit, the GPU got knocked off of the PCI-E slot and actually there's a knock of the PCI-E connector, but I didn't care for that, as I didn't want to replace the motherboard.

I think that now there are different sources for my problems, the knocked PCI-E slot and that leaky PSU !!

I feel really bad for you man, it sucks when any parts go. but when the PSU starts going it's like a dodgy american gun nut... if it decides to go, it's taking a whole lot of others with it.
Lots of other parts wont really matter (in comparison) if they go. But never keep a dying PSU in the rig.

Thanks man .. it's primarily my fault, the knocked PCI-E slot, I even didn't change the GPU to the 2nd one as I thought it may slows down the GPU, and the leaky PSU. I'm considering those cheap PSUs from aliexpress, chinese stuff aren't all that bad by the fact most branded stuff are from china basically, there might be other branches around the world but most of them are in china; like, gigabyte, intel .. etc. So other third party cheap ones won't be as bad, if it's a good one.

Erm
Sucks and a life lesson re the dodgy PSU

Yep! I should took those shocks more seriously before I lose my GPUs !!

Why the hell would you keep a dodgy PSU like that?! :eek:

Didn't think it would kill a GPU, my stupid idea was that the parts are grounded so any leaking in the system would be directed to the case eventually and just I don't have to touch it, but of course that means losing your system parts for not caring about any problem in the rig especially the electric ones.

GPU probably dead. But replace the PSU and try it again. You might be lucky when there is no short.
But do not switch on that PC again until you replace that PSU. Honestly you shpuld have replaced it the first time. The PSU is one thing I won't scrimp on as it's not worth the risk.

That's my guess too, it worked but the fans didn't work, I'm really hoping that I can save it somehow. When I started to believe there is a problem, I launched the rig and the system worked but the GPU fans didn't work I immediately turned off the rig.

But what can I say now !! I have to change the PSU and the motherboard unless I switch to the 2nd PCI-E slot.

Man of Honour
Be careful if you do open the PSU because the capacitors in it will still hold lethal voltages even when off. But what is the point? Could you ever trust it even if you find the fault?

Soldato
Agreed just throw the PSU in the nearest skip and buy a new quality one. It’s the heart of the system and shouldn’t be skimped out on especially if you know it’s faulty/failing.

It’s not so much the current but the voltage. If it’s leaking mains to the internal components then they will fail because they are not designed to sustain much over 12v/5v/3.3v etc.

I’d also agree with the above comment, just isn’t worth it. Some of those caps will be 400v+ which will likely mean death if you touch something you’re not supposed too should they still be charged.

Soldato
RMA the graphics card and don't say why, just say it's faulty. Then take the PSU out of the case and hit with a very large hammer. Then take the hammer to your own head for being a doofus and not replacing it in the first place when your Classy died.

Associate
OP
Be careful if you do open the PSU because the capacitors in it will still hold lethal voltages even when off. But what is the point? Could you ever trust it even if you find the fault?

Yep I worked with PSUs and I always discharge the main capacitor with shorting it by a high wattage resistor.

The point is that I want to learn how to troubleshoot these parts, I have a lot of broken Dell PSUs at my work, when I'm very free, I like to do a troubleshooting session and learn something !

Agreed just throw the PSU in the nearest skip and buy a new quality one. It’s the heart of the system and shouldn’t be skimped out on especially if you know it’s faulty/failing.

It’s not so much the current but the voltage. If it’s leaking mains to the internal components then they will fail because they are not designed to sustain much over 12v/5v/3.3v etc.

I’d also agree with the above comment, just isn’t worth it. Some of those caps will be 400v+ which will likely mean death if you touch something you’re not supposed too should they still be charged.

Yep ! Thanks for your concern man, means a lot to me !

RMA the graphics card and don't say why, just say it's faulty. Then take the PSU out of the case and hit with a very large hammer. Then take the hammer to your own head for being a doofus and not replacing it in the first place when your Classy died.

I forgot to tell you guys that I did a very quick test to the GPU after trying to test it in my hometown computer shops, they refused because they told me that if there's a short in the GPU then they would lose the motherboard.

So I got back home, and did a quick test to check if the GPU fans would spin, I turned on the PC for one second and when the GPU fans worked I immediately switched off the PC. And never turned on the PC since then waiting for my new PSU.

... but I won't hit my head with a hammer, it won't work !! stupidity is there .. you can't do anything about it :)

Back
Top Bottom