• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Did I kill my 1080?

Associate
I was recently overclocking my 1080, nothing crazy, just set power slider to 108% and was slowly increasing core clocks. No artifacting, no crashes, lock ups, nothing. Then all of a sudden my screen goes black, fans spin up to 100% and I can still hear windows in the background - only way to get rid is to hold the power button down.

Now I can't even touch the power slider whilst running heaven, or it just does the exact same thing - even without an overclock. GPU temps are fine, I have replaced thermal paste, DDU'd it, etc...

Why is it my luck I go potentially kill my 1080 doing what I'd say is pretty safe overclocking.

Any help appreciated.

Associate
Tricky one mate

I would look into a few things to try and get it to atleast run first

Totally reinstall drivers and remove any overclocking software

Could suggest undervolting etc and see if it is atleast stable couldn't really think of much else to try sounds like you checked it hardware wise

Associate
OP
Tricky one mate

I would look into a few things to try and get it to atleast run first

Totally reinstall drivers and remove any overclocking software

Could suggest undervolting etc and see if it is at least stable couldn't really think of much else to try sounds like you checked it hardware wise
Thank you - I've already totally tried drivers etc - it's not as if it does this stock. In fact, it doesn't do it in unigene valley, only heaven. It's definitely to do with power usage. When it goes above that 100% power limit, things crash - and only heaven pushes it hard enough to get there. It's a power issue, but I'm almost certain it's not my PSU as it's an EVGA 1000P2, only a few years old. How do I undervolt? I only have the option to go up.

Associate
If only Heaven crashes it then why do you even care.?
Anyway here is a good video on undervolting
it is for Ampere but it applies to previous architectures as well.

Associate
Thank you - I've already totally tried drivers etc - it's not as if it does this stock. In fact, it doesn't do it in unigene valley, only heaven. It's definitely to do with power usage. When it goes above that 100% power limit, things crash - and only heaven pushes it hard enough to get there. It's a power issue, but I'm almost certain it's not my PSU as it's an EVGA 1000P2, only a few years old. How do I undervolt? I only have the option to go up.

How many pci cables do you have going to the gpu ?

Permabanned
I had a 10 series card that did exactly this, and nothing I did got it back, other than, very oddly, resetting the motherboard BIOS. By that I mean actually taking out the battery and leaving it for 30 mins. Don't ask me why, I have no idea what it did, it makes no sense, but maybe try it.

Back
Top Bottom