Didn't get enough caps/Got too many caps You decide

Soldato
Shamelesley ripped from Mondays Drive time show on Talk Sport. A bit of footballing debate and banter for the off season. So in light of the Jamie Carager retirement, which players didn't get enough caps and which players got too many.

In the former it could have been because there was other world class players already in that position. They never performed at international level although they had plenty of opportunities, or their career was cut short.

In the latter it could be that they should have retired a few years before they did, they was the managers blue eyed boy or in your opinion they were completely over rated.

So I expect a good clean fight, plenty of banter as long as it's clean and at the very least have some logic behind your post other than you may love a player because he plays/played for your club or hate him because he plays/played for your fiercest rival ;)

I'll get the ball rolling with some players who never realised their potential on the international stage

Steve Bruce - 0 caps. Never blessed with pace but was as brave as a lion, exceptional positional sense. Good header, good tackler. Despite him being an old school centre half he could play good football as well.

Gianfranco Zola - 35 casps as a sub. Prob one of the best imports to the Premiership ever bar none. His skills never really got the recognition it deserved on the international stage. iirc Arigo Sacchi never really fancied Zola and he did have Baggio playing ahead of him

Duncan Ferguson - Big Dunc was propbably one of the best Scottish forward of his generation. A lot of ex-pro's cite Big Dunc as one of the toughest forwards they have ever played against. Hung out to dry by the Scottish FA and he retired too early imho

Other players who had their chance time and time again but never really took it include, Andy Cole, Robbie Fowler, Matt Le Tiss

Now onto those who got too many caps

Carlton Palmer 18 International Caps. Is there a greater crime in international football ?

Capodecina
Permabanned
Zola is still my favourite footballer to this day (I am a Chelsea fan).

His skill, shooting ability, freekick ability and definately his attitude and sportsmanship.

Absolutely amazing player, we need more like him today.

Soldato
Cantona and Ginola come to mind. Cantona had plenty of caps but was hung out to dry after returning from suspension. While Ginola just didn't get enough chances during the periods of good form at Newcastle and Spurs.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ripper said:
Cantona and Ginola come to mind. Cantona had plenty of caps but was hung out to dry after returning from suspension. While Ginola just didn't get enough chances during the periods of good form at Newcastle and Spurs.

Absolutely agree.

Matt Le Tissier should have had a few more.

Permabanned
Kieran Richardson how he got called up for England, along with Jenas.

Andrew Johnson just no, not scored yet.

Dean Ashton should shine soon, I know he got injured but hes a strong pacey striker.

Permabanned
LeaguePosition14 said:
Nigel Winterburn. 2 caps. A crying shame, he was a great fullback who seemed to get better with age. Part of the legendary back 5

Loses points though due to him being gay in the Di Canio incident :p

Soldato
While Ginola just didn't get enough chances during the periods of good form at Newcastle and Spurs.

Ginola was blamed for France's failure to get to the 1994 World Cup. His stray pass in the last minute of the last qualifying game resulted in the other team scoring and France missing out. He was never picked again.

Soldato
Tunney said:
Ginola was blamed for France's failure to get to the 1994 World Cup. His stray pass in the last minute of the last qualifying game resulted in the other team scoring and France missing out. He was never picked again.

I remember that.

France were playing at home against Bulgaria. Ginola gave the ball away at the edge of the Bulgarian penalty box. Bulgaria hit France on the counter attack, went straight down the other end and scored to ensure they went to USA 94 and not France.

As mentioned earlier, Matt Le Tissier springs to mind straight away.

Back
Top Bottom