Diesels Vs Petrol *DEBATE*

ugh

ugh

Permabanned
Hello :)

Diesel Vs Petrol, its one of my favourite topics to discuss.

These comments i make, are my own personal view only - Please feel free to donate your view on the matter, without slagging off anyone or there car :)

Right well, I am a diesel hater. Most people know this :)
The reasons why are because, they smell awful.
Diesel on the road can be deadly and has probably been the cause of many bikers hitting diesel and coming off and dieing. Diesel engines sound like tractors from the outside but also in the inside on some cars.
Diesel is more expensive than petrol, and some petrol cars can return the same MPG, so which is cheaper?
Petrol creates lesser pollution & petrol vehicles are easier to maintain.
It costs much less to maintain a petrol vehicle as against a diesel vehicle.
Comparing engine sizes, reletevly diesels are much slower than petrols.

Cant think of any others right now, but when i do ill add them to the list :)

Last edited:

ugh

ugh

Permabanned
OP
Originally posted by [TW]Fox
They do? I've certainly not noticed this. Probably becuase I dont spend time standing next to the exhuast outlet of my car. I tend to drive it when the engine is running. Don't you?

Yes they do, have you ever left your heater on and then starter the car up? I smells AWFUL.

What? So is oil from petrol engines, how is this relevent?

Indeed, Oil is nasty on the roads... but thats irrelevent. Petrol on the roads ISNT dangerous, where as diesel is.

Diesel cars sound noisy when you start them. This is one of the acknowledged drawbacks of diesel powered cars. However, it's not as bad as the Derv-haters like to think it is. For a start, you dont generally stand around with your head next to the bonnet listening. You get in the car, you start it, you drive of. Inside the noise is not a problem in a decently sized properly soundproofed car. From about 30mph upwards you cannot even tell its a diesel, and below that the noise is far from obtrusive.

Well, the reason i put this in is because i generaly get woken up at 7:30am every weekday by the local diesel bregade... Its annoying opening the eyes to the sound of a tractor

Diesel, blatantly. You can get cars which can return over 50mpg. However, these are Fiesta 1.1's, Yaris 1.0's, etc. Small town cars. However look at the diesels which can return over 50mph - Ford Focus, Ford Mondeo, Peugeot 405, Citroen Xantia, Vauxhall Astra and many many more. Much bigger, more comfortable cars. Diesel costs more but you use less of it. I run my 'barge' for the same fuel costs as my old 1.3.

Indeed you are correct, but it really does depend on the car. Most of the cars on todays roads are small cars, which do equal the MPG of the diesel cars. I really do think diesels should be kept for Vans, Bus's trains and taxis.

This is only the case with N/A engines, which are woefully slow. This is why most diesel engines have a turbocharger fitted. With this, they can equal and often excel the performance of a similar sized petrol car. They are often quicker when loaded or when going up hill due to the much greater amounts of tourque. Lets take a look at some examples:

For each example the same trim level has been selected:

VW Golf 2.0 S: 0-62: 11.4 seconds. Torque: 125 lb/ft
VW Golf 1.9TDI S: 0-62: 10.2 seconds. Torque: 228lb/ft

Ford Focus 1.8i GHIA: 0-62: 10.3 seconds. Torque: 117 lb/ft
Ford Focus 1.8TDCi GHIA: 0-62: 10.8 seconds. Torque: 185lb/ft

BMW 318i SE (1995cc): 0-62: 10.7 seconds. Torque: 148lb/ft
BMW 320d SE (1995cc): 0-62: 8.9 seconds. Torque: 244lb/ft

Indeed there are some quick diesels, BUT, the examples you give are the top end ones... nothing else can come close to that when looking at stuff like the Pug 405 diesel etc

ugh

ugh

Permabanned
OP
Originally posted by ZuG
because diesels are better :D

Incorrect.

Im starting to think diesels have there uses...

...on farms :p

Seriously though, diesels might be able to get the good MPG's in the big Mercs etc, but seriously, if u own one of them cars, who cars about MPG?!

Sure, if its a company car, the company get diesel because its cheaper tax, and the driver is happy because he is gettin his MPG.

It still doesnt make me like diesels any more than i do, but i suppose they have there uses.

ugh

ugh

Permabanned
OP
Originally posted by izoneiz
omg the smell of petrol almost turns me on, its outstanding, but not petrol station smell, the exhaust smell. but petrol on its own is nice also

IZoneIZ

mmmmmmmmmm okay... i can recomment some good doctors ;) :D

Back
Top Bottom