Digital Drum Kits

Permabanned
I recently got the hankering to play a musical instrument, just for my own enjoyment.

I used to have a starter drum kit set but I sold it because I no longer had the room for it.

I was looking at digital drum kits as they don't take up much space and I was wondering, where do prices start for something decent? Decent as in, I don't need the best on the market just something that will take a bit of punishment (only occasionally) and has plenty of samples so I don't get bored.

Also do any of these digital drum kits have the ability to be plugged into a PC, to download more samples? Or am I talking complete guff on that one.

If anyone could show me some digital drum kits for starting out and learning I'd be most grateful.

Just to be clear, I'm after something that actually resembles a real drum kit not something that looks like a set of dj decks.

Thanks!!!

Soldato
If you're looking for an electric drum set that looks like an acoustic drum set, you'll looking at a lot of moneys worth of kit!

I have a Roland TD-4K...

20120406-xj18115g97ctqijg8bhr16ytcc.jpg

Obviously doesn't look like an actual acoustic set :p But it's great because I can play it in the house without causing too much disturbance.

Think it cost me around £1400 when I bought it about two years ago. Price has lowered to around £900-£1000 - but there are newer models out now.

For a decent electronic kit though, you'll be looking at anywhere from £800 to £1500.

You'll have to check with the type of "brain" the set has on whether or not you can import other samples into it. I think the Roland TD-9 and above can do that sort of thing.

Soldato
I also have a Roland and did quite a lot of research into things before getting one. Conclusion was, you can't really get a decent electric kit for under £800. Acoustic kits are cheaper but noisier, obviously.

To be honest either type of drum kit is a big investment - might be a good idea to get a couple of lessons from a teacher first, to see if you've got the chops? :)

Soldato
Roland kits are pretty much the best. Where I work we use them for rehearsal since it's easier to keep control of the noise during rehearsal. We use TD9-KX2 and I don't think you're able to load in new sounds - but you can edit and pitch the ones that come with it.

Soldato
Lowe - You can buy new drum sounds for most of the roland range from VEXpressions (your TD-9 here) but they can be expensive. I've got about another 350 full kits for my TD-12 from there and they do sound absolutely amazing.

Eames - Either 2nd hand Roland or Yamaha are your best options but they'll be very limited for the cheap versions or you can go bargain basement with ION which would be the equivalent of a Rock Band/Guitar Hero setup. Sadly if you want a decent kit it's £1000+ which is a lot unless you're positive you want to give it a bash (pun intended :D). It'd work out cheaper to buy an Acoustic kit and hire a garage/lock-up/rehearsal room etc for 6 months if you're not 100%.

Permabanned
OP
Sadly I've decided I don't have the room for one of these right now.

Think I'll try picking my bass guitar up again :)

Thanks anyway lads, your advice was fantastic.

Soldato
That was me Dimple, Jobeky drums! UK based (Staffs) run by Colin, used by quite a few bands/artists now.

They organise the Uk Custom Drum Festival at the Staffs country showground on the 6th May if you can get there and have a play.

XL-1-(1)roland.jpg

Prestige-Oak-(1)-logo.jpg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I had a 2 hour keyboard & guitar session with my 11 year old Nephew yesterday and he is coming on strong after 4 and 5 months on each instrument respectively.
I then ordered him onto his drums which he got a grade at when he was 10.
He's now being instructed by somebody who is teaching him Neil Peaert style drumming and he wasn't really in the mood when I filmed this -

Back
Top Bottom