Digital Tuning Boxes-Talk to me: Anyone here have one?

Soldato
Just looking for opinions really. And before the flood of 'Get a remap done instead' posts arrive, I'm aware of the differences and the advantages of a thoroughly personal remap over a tuning box. However, on an owners forum I frequent I've been offered a very high quality digital tuning box for a bargain price. I'm tempted to give it a pop but ordinarily I wouldn't be looking at either a remap or a tuning box, it's just my Scottish blood thats picking up the vibe that this could be an opportunity not to pass up on. :p

The last time I had a tuning box on a car it went well to begin with and then started causing issues a few months later with the car going into limp mode every so often. I eventually removed it. However, this was a fair while back and it was one of the first CRD boxes from DtUK. I'm led to believe that digital tuning boxes have came on leaps and bounds from back then and are now fairly worthwhile options. However I'd like some thoughts from you folks on it as I'm really not up to speed with the latest digital ones on the market.
I'm more interested in better mpg than outright power increases. The owner of the box claims it will certainly assist in mpg performance as well as making the car smoother and more rewarding to drive.

The box in question is this one HERE. It shows a listing for a C-Crosser but my car is a Peugeot 4007, essentially exactly the same car apart from branding.

Most remaps improve mpg as you have better running at the same rpm.
For example my Focus is mapped and the before vs. after map (the 'claimed' performance) shows that at any rpm the new map gives more power than before, which means that for the same performance as before I can use a touch less throttle. Have a look for your car on the superchips website - There will be a PDF of before vs. after rolling road printouts.

Afaik tuning boxes fool the ecu into overfuelling and are primitive. I see no reason why you would not get a remap. I bought my Bluefin second hand for £185 all in from Ebay and it works well. I put it back to stock for the MOT but the smoke was 0.67 (not sure what the measurement is!) and I am permitted 1.50 so next year I will leave the map on.

A car is tuned for morons who floor it when it is cold, for women who think it doesn't need an oil change, for CO2 to keep the VED down, NOx levels etc. for Euro Emissions, for poor European fuel, and for mpg. With a remap and a good service schedule you can run the car at a more optimal setting without negative effects on car reliability and general life length.

The insurance increase from having a remap will be offset by the VED savings you would be paying if you had bought a higher performance model :p.

EDIT: £270?! **** that, get a proper remap from a reputable company!!! Also I am not sure there is a Bluefin for that car.

Last edited:
Soldato
Had an £80 Tuning box on my 2.2 Mondeo TDCI (after more MPG) and it worked well, gave an extra 5mpg (measured over 5 months) and a nice torque kick but, as above, every so often it went into limp home mode as it was taxing the injectors.

I ended up with a remap for £200ish from racebits which added another 4mpg to the mpg (+9mpg from standard, measured over 2 months) and, after this weekend, I'll find out what BHP/Tq it's boosted my car upto from it's original 155hp - 250ft/lbs but racebits guesstimate around 170hp and 310ft/lbs (the extra torque is definitely noticeable!).

Soldato
OP
Hmmm.

Sat and did a fairly thorough search on the pro's and con's of tuning boxes fitted to CRD systems this afternoon. It's obviously difficult to gauge exactly what is fact and what is fiction from people posting on teh interweb on forums but the mention of tuning boxes affecting the DPF keeps cropping up time and time again. Not to mention the possibility of issues with fuel injectors and pressure pumps. As I said I am tempted to blag this box for £50 but at the back of my mind I'd be constantly concerned it was going to cause issues in the future and then of course I'd really be cursing myself.

I'm going to mull it over but it's looking like erring on the side of caution and not bothering with it is going to be the prudent option.

Soldato
It may only be £50 but you're already aware it's no more than a temporary option, tuning boxes tend to be good for people who are considering a remap before going on to get it done properly but I wouldn't personally have one on any of my own cars.

You'll only be moving it on again in a few months imo, not to mention any potential havoc it plays with the engine management

Soldato
go for the proper map option, will be far superior to any tuning box, that said tuning boxes can push higher numbers if that's what your after (car dependant) but will be at the expense of safety limits and potentially drivability.

or if your a complete fruit loop, go for a box and a map :)

Soldato
OP
go for the proper map option, will be far superior to any tuning box

I'm tempted to give it a pop but ordinarily I wouldn't be looking at either a remap or a tuning box, it's just my Scottish blood thats picking up the vibe that this could be an opportunity not to pass up on. :p

;)

Happy with the cars performance already but as I said I was tempted to just grab this anyway since it's only the price of a few beers. :) Going to pass on it I think though. There's another bloke on the owners forums who says he is interested in the box, will be interesting to see hear how he gets on with it. After the issues I had with my old 3.0 Vectra (non-DPF) and the DtUK box that was on it I'm not prepared to take the risk simply for an additional 23 bhp and a dollop of extra Nm.

Back
Top Bottom