Digitise Cine film?

Associate
Hi All,

Does anyone have any experience with companies who will convert cine film onto DVD / Blu-ray?

Any particular recommendation?

I am based in London and I would prefer not to have to post the film off somewhere.

Any help would be great.

Soldato
I plan on doing this soon as well as have a few rolls in the loft and a projector.

Was thinking of just hooking my video camera up, recording the image from the projector then sticking it on to computer adding audio/music and then burn onto DVD.

So I will be interested in this thread.

Soldato
I plan on doing this soon as well as have a few rolls in the loft and a projector.

Was thinking of just hooking my video camera up, recording the image from the projector then sticking it on to computer adding audio/music and then burn onto DVD.

That's pretty much what the company did that we used many moons ago.. projected it and recorded it then added background music - pretty low tech :)

If you have a dark room somewhere and a digital camera/camcorder+tripod you should be able to achieve the same yourself without too much hassle.

Associate
I did this for my Dad's 80th birthday last year.

I just went in to a local print/photo developer shop and they did it. They sent it away but they actually take it themselves rather than posting it. Took about 2 weeks. I had 13 reels in all and it was about £100. I ended up with 2 DVDs and a total of around 90 minutes of footage.

Associate
OP
I was tempted to try the DIY method myself but I view this more as archiving so I want the output to be the highest possible quality. I think I'd probably rather pay someone to just get it done! Plus they can clean it up etc. So long as it isn't too much. £100 ish sounds reasonable.

These guys look the best (best website!) of those I have briefly looked at:

http://www.transferhouse.co.uk/

Plus they are just around the corner from where I work. Crucially they don't seem to be tied to transferring only to DVD. I think I'll get them to just give me some 1080p mp4 files. That way I can back up online. Safer than keeping the DVD in a drawer somewhere.

Unless anyone comes back with horror stories I'll probably give them a go. :)

It would be interesting to do a DIY version and compare the outputs.

Soldato

Hope you're more professional than this -

Or maybe you could try this -

Back
Top Bottom