dilemma: should I go for new job or stay where I am?

Associate
I started looking for new job because in my current job, there was no progression and no skill expansion. So i have a job. What is the problem?

I have gotten used to the current environment. It is a good one, also like someone and would miss them. When i told my manager, he said that he doesnt want me to go and proposed I stay and do the things I like.

The new job will have some repetitive nature (same as current job) but it will put me on a career ladder of what I want to do web development plus give me transferable skills to other jobs in the future. (Current job is unique in that you cannot take those skills elsewhere)

Soldato
Have you been offered the new job yet? No harm in moving to something new if your current place has no prospects. Do it for yourself.

Associate
Time to move on.

If you stay it sounds very much like you'll be doing the same thing in 5, 10, 20 years with no way to move due to niche skills.

Associate
I started looking for new job because in my current job, there was no progression and no skill expansion. So i have a job. What is the problem?

I have gotten used to the current environment. It is a good one, also like someone and would miss them. When i told my manager, he said that he doesnt want me to go and proposed I stay and do the things I like.

The new job will have some repetitive nature (same as current job) but it will put me on a career ladder of what I want to do web development plus give me transferable skills to other jobs in the future. (Current job is unique in that you cannot take those skills elsewhere)

im in a very similar situation, i haven't been offered a job tho but i know i need to look for something new, but its hard when your so comfortable.

Caporegime
Move on - also just a tip, don't tell people about it in advance next time (especially not your manager) at least until you've got an offer elsewhere. While your manager might be cool with it it is risky - especially if you change your mind or don't find anything in the immediate future, could well change his views on how much to allocate you when it comes to your next pay rise/bonus if he thinks you're going to be leaving anyway.

Soldato
I'd make the move but don't quit your current job until you have signed a new contract. I wouldn't even tell my current employers that I'm looking. I told my section leader as she's a reference for me but I haven't told my big boss and won't until I sign my new contract. It's not worth the potential hassle they could do if they decide to be vindictive (though I doubt that they will be!).

Associate
OP
well there is a scope for progression, i.e. real programming as oppose to pseudo-programming,.

I only told them when I got an offer and they then gave me a counter offer.

Also I am trying to leave on a best term by saying I will be coming back in a couple of years time, or that they can hire me as a free-lancer working weekends etc.

I think in my heart/mind, I know that I should move on, its just that this will be my "first" real job in terms of web development and I am freaking out about what happens if they sack me. Believe or not, this actually happened (or nearly happened) in my previous job.

Prev job was my first proper job (lasted a month or so) but my senior devs didnt give me a chance to learn, they would pick up on my mistakes and tell manager. It was like my every move was watched and so they asked me to voluntarily resign but I didnt, cuz I thought I could make it. But after that, I got this current job.

So I am scared what if I make mistakes etc and they let me go. Although my manager seemed nice.

Also there is someone I like in this company..

PS> please tell me I am being NAIVE when I said this to my current employers

"How about keeping me on as a free-lancer, I can work during weekend"

Last edited:
Associate
well there is a scope for progression, i.e. real programming as oppose to pseudo-programming,.

I only told them when I got an offer and they then gave me a counter offer.

Also I am trying to leave on a best term by saying I will be coming back in a couple of years time, or that they can hire me as a free-lancer working weekends etc.

I think in my heart/mind, I know that I should move on, its just that this will be my "first" real job in terms of web development and I am freaking out about what happens if they sack me. Believe or not, this actually happened (or nearly happened) in my previous job.

Prev job was my first proper job (lasted a month or so) but my senior devs didnt give me a chance to learn, they would pick up on my mistakes and tell manager. It was like my every move was watched and so they asked me to voluntarily resign but I didnt, cuz I thought I could make it. But after that, I got this current job.

So I am scared what if I make mistakes etc and they let me go. Although my manager seemed nice.

Also there is someone I like in this company..

PS> please tell me I am being NAIVE when I said this to my current employers

"How about keeping me on as a free-lancer, I can work during weekend"

when you say "like" your talking about a girl right?

Soldato
Don't let on to your manager you intend to leave until you hand in your notice, then just say "really like it here but pastures new" etc.

If you give the impression your loyalty isn't with the company you'll be a marked man.

Associate
I could answer but only if it changes your response :p

So thats a yes then?

Well i kinda know how that feels, but honestly i dont think you should let that hold you back from leaving. You can still keep in contact once you've left, you never know not working together might improve you chances anyway :)

Soldato
Ask girl at work out and move jobs.

No professional integrity compromised by workplace romance and improved career prospects.

You never know, it could end up being a masterstroke: new girl and new career.

Man of Honour
A good piece of advice I was once given: Leave for a new job that you want. DOn't just leave because you don't like the old job.

Back
Top Bottom