Direct Ferries changed my return ferry back

Soldato
Hi all.

I few months ago I booked a ferry for both myself and my brother to go away fishing to France.

The ferry out was on the Monday at 8:30 and the ferry back was at 18:30 on the Friday.

I have just received notification that due to Brexit they have moved the return ferry back to the UK to 15:30 effectively cutting the few days away short by 3 hours.

This may not seem like a big issue but we have had to drive quite far when we get to France so this 3 hours earlier has ment we have to leave really early to get to the ferry on time and in a way messes the entire nights fishing up on the night before leaving as before we had time to pack up in the morning and now we only will have time to pack up the evening before.

Does anyone know if I have any rights in regards to refusing the change or a partial refund? I called them and they would not give me a reason why and did the whole "we will call you back" but never did.

Here is the email that I received from the booking company Direct Ferries. The ferry itself is a Britanny one.

"Good Morning,

Following our commitment to guarantee space for the supply of critical goods like medicines in the event of a no-deal Brexit, we have had to adjust the timings of some of our sailings. We are committed to provide these extra sailings even whilst the UK remains within the EU

The sailing will now leave Cherbourg at 15:30, with a latest check-in time as detailed on your booking confirmation.

If this causes any problems please contact the call centre on the number provided on your booking confirmation.

Kind Regards

Direct Ferries."

Soldato
OP
Have you contacted the call centre again? Kick up a fuss or came straight here to complain about it to a bunch of strangers lol
I called them originally, made it clear that it was strange that they had changed my booking and I wasn't happy about it but at the same time wasn't rude.

Before I go back and have round 2 I just thought I'd ask the community to see if people had had a similar experience

Associate
"Good Morning,

Following our commitment to guarantee space for the supply of critical goods like medicines in the event of a no-deal Brexit, we have had to adjust the timings of some of our sailings. We are committed to provide these extra sailings even whilst the UK remains within the EU

The sailing will now leave Cherbourg at 15:30, with a latest check-in time as detailed on your booking confirmation.

If this causes any problems please contact the call centre on the number provided on your booking confirmation.

Kind Regards

Direct Ferries."

If they are putting on extra ferries just contact them like they said and ask for a later sailing?

Soldato
OP
Seriously though, it's **** like this that people don't think about. Total ***********. GL UK!

Anyway, just leave your fishing trip a few hours earlier. Not much you can do.
This was my original feelings but I just feel a bit cheated out of such precious time that we have there that's all.

Soldato
OP
If they are putting on extra ferries just contact them like they said and ask for a later sailing?
I did contact them and they were extremely unhelpful so I asked to speak to someone who would be and they offered me a call back that I never received.

My account online still states the original return time of 18:30 so I'm still not 100% sure that things have even changed looking at that. When I called the "helpdesk" it's almost as if they didn't know that things had changed.

I'd still pursue this.

I mean, like, when I called an airliner to change my return flight, I was charged £25 admin fee.

If it's the other way round and they're changing the return flight, it's an inconvenience for you and they should be giving you the £25 in principle.

Associate
I did contact them and they were extremely unhelpful so I asked to speak to someone who would be and they offered me a call back that I never received.

My account online still states the original return time of 18:30 so I'm still not 100% sure that things have even changed looking at that. When I called the "helpdesk" it's almost as if they didn't know that things had changed.

You sure the email came from them and not a friend pulling your leg?

Back
Top Bottom