Disabe A-XMP Profile when Overcloking?

Associate
I am using "dram calculator for ryzen" to optimize timings for my amd system. I am overcloking the ram speed to what a-xmp uses. Do I disable A-XMP profile?

Specs in signature

Man of Honour
Yes, if you're using custom timings based on the calculator, then you'll need to configure them manually. Otherwise, XMP may override your manual settings, though it depends on the motherboard software.

Associate
OP
Yes, if you're using custom timings based on the calculator, then you'll need to configure them manually. Otherwise, XMP may override your manual settings, though it depends on the motherboard software.
Thanks, I am using "MSI B450m Mortar Max". My ram kit is not listed on the website as compitible for my motherboard but works fine.
If I had a compatible ram kit for my motherboard, would it better to use xmp profile or use dram calculator for ryzen?

Associate
Seems this is one for which you can receive different answers from different sources, likely for different boards.

On my MSI Tomahawk X570 I have XMP on, and then can manually overide the settings I wish to tweak.

For example, I turn on xmp. It goes to 3600MHz Memory and the SMP timings etc. I manually change the memory frequency down to 3400MHz, and it happily stays that way through reboots etc.

Yoir MSI board uefi may work differently to mine in this respect, but I doubt it!

Associate
OP
Seems this is one for which you can receive different answers from different sources, likely for different boards.

On my MSI Tomahawk X570 I have XMP on, and then can manually overide the settings I wish to tweak.

For example, I turn on xmp. It goes to 3600MHz Memory and the SMP timings etc. I manually change the memory frequency down to 3400MHz, and it happily stays that way through reboots etc.

Yoir MSI board uefi may work differently to mine in this respect, but I doubt it!
Yes, I can change timings whilst using xmp profile. Is it better to use xmp profile or keep it off?

Associate
Personally i think it's best to start with xmp enabled. That's going to give you a good starting point for many obscure settings (that will be auto-set by the motherboard). Then start adjusting from there.

Back
Top Bottom