Disappointed in Seat Leon FR

Soldato
I would like to know from someone with the ACTUAL knowledge, would they purposely leave off a certain amount of sound deadening between the like for like model for instance say between the Golf and the Seat equivalent (leon), or would it arguably be cheaper to have all the same quality of sound deadening applied to all the range across different brands?

I believe they'll use the same stuff across the brands, but SEAT definitely use less than VW and Audi.

Soldato
My Leon Cupra is noisy on the motorway, it doesnt help that it runs 19" wheels and continental tyres on the back. Michelin PS4s make a massive difference on the front. Seat is the value brand so something has to give somewhere. Ive had golfs for hire cars and they are not much better. Im in the process of putting sound deadening in the back round the wheel well and arches, which has helped massively and also made the sub more noticeable. I suspect when I change the rear tyres it will be even better.

Rule of thumb with the Leon any engine over 150bhp gets multi-link rear suspension. I would say if you looking for the 1.8 I would go for the 1.4 as its a little less power but more economical. Ive always thought the 1.8 is in a strange place in the range. Its a lot more expensive that the 1.4 for very little gain.

Last edited:
Associate
My Leon Cupra is noisy on the motorway, it doesnt help that it runs 19" wheels and continental tyres on the back. Michelin PS4s make a massive difference on the front. Seat is the value brand so something has to give somewhere. Ive had golfs for hire cars and they are not much better. Im in the process of putting sound deadening in the back round the wheel well and arches, which has helped massively and also made the sub more noticeable. I suspect when I change the rear tyres it will be even better.

Rule of thumb with the Leon any engine over 150bhp gets multi-link rear suspension.

Potentially off topic, but what deadening have you used? Have the same gripe with my Octavia VRS on the same platform and have considered adding some if its worthwhile.

Soldato
Soldato
As others have mentioned I think you're expecting a bit much from a Seat. I wouldn't really put it any higher than Renault.

Agreed, there is a reason you pay less compared to VW/Audi. I compare Seat with Skoda but with a more sportier image.

Caporegime
Speaking of tyre noise, I very nearly got a Cupra 300 ST recently on contract hire, and then got an E Class Estate instead.

It's coming on Thursday and the VIN decoder says it comes with some sort of noise optimised tyre with foam absorber

Anyone have any clue what tyres brand I could expect?

Soldato
Picture of it in the boot of my Leon
I can understand they may reduce reverberation from the area surrounding the sub , don't you have the fuel tank in that vicinity too, to stop noise transmission ...
but the wheel arches, floorpan and engine firewall (maybe door panels) are probably where it really counts and is there room to do anything ?
BM 3's seem to have a bitumous covering above floorpan and then a 2" underlay/carpet combo

edit - and can those materials really be so different between ibiza, skoda, vag, audi

Soldato
Dont forget that manufacturers also de-content during a model's lifecycle, so it's possible that early cars have more sound insulation than later cars (I have seen this actually happen on other brands).

Back
Top Bottom