Disappointed in Seat Leon FR

Man of Honour
maybe it had had a poorly fitted replacement windscreen or seal issues .. try another

[dont't know if fox made the bentley comment because they, like lambo, are VAG ?]

My point was that his expectations seemed high - Seat as a brand is very much on a par with Renault, arguably in some areas Renault are more upmarket.

Soldato
I know, but it was ironic given the evolution of the discussion !

edit: afterthought but is bentley builds quality what it once was (like Merc or BM for that matter)

Soldato
I know yours will be louder due to bigger engine but mine is 1.2 tsi and the noise is fine, when on a motorway cabin noise is fine, nothing seems too loud engine wise or rattles etc.

It's 2014 none fr

nam

nam

Soldato
noise insulation improves as you go up the range i went from a 2016 Golf R to a 2018 Audi S4 and it is a lot more insulated in the cabin

Soldato
I know yours will be louder due to bigger engine but mine is 1.2 tsi and the noise is fine, when on a motorway cabin noise is fine, nothing seems too loud engine wise or rattles etc.

It's 2014 none fr

My wife's 1.2 Leon is far quieter as its running on 16" wheels, but it's just not as fun to drive :D.

I have read similar complaints on the a3 when you start going to the trims with low profile tyres.

Soldato
OP
What bugs me is Michelin, Pirelli and Continental all have foam filled tyres that significantly reduce road noise, but they’re only available in Merc and Tesla sizes.

Caporegime
What bugs me is Michelin, Pirelli and Continental all have foam filled tyres that significantly reduce road noise, but they’re only available in Merc and Tesla sizes.

Do you happen to know which tyre manufacture Merc use? The car I ordered has 20" AMG wheels and says it comes with foam filled tyres but I can't narrow down the brand.

Soldato
yes there is a difference between the brands in things like glass thickness and sound proofing material, it all boils down to them creating different products for different markets

want a small exec buy an a3 . want middle of the road buy a golf want cheap buy octavia . want a bit of sportiness buy a leon. all the same car with the same (more or less engines and a huge amount of commonality amongst components but a leon is not a golf is not an A3 even though they share so much across the cars.

Soldato

Large tyres make a lot of noise, they probably didn't think it was worth it for smaller sizes. Over 17" is a negative when it comes to noise, handling and ride quality really. It's only really for "Bling" unless your housing huge brakes :/

Soldato
My girlfriend's 2018 Leon has very good levels of noise for what it is. I would expect an FR to be marginally louder due to the lower-profile tyres.

P.s. its overall build quality is far better than any Renault I've ever been in.

Soldato
My 67 plate FR (18" alloys) isn't quiet but I wouldn't say it's overly intrusive either.

I am coming from a 56 plate Swift sport that would sit at 4k rpm when in 5th gear at 70mph, so my view might be a little off.

Maybe they slowly improved it over the years?

Soldato
I would like to know from someone with the ACTUAL knowledge, would they purposely leave off a certain amount of sound deadening between the like for like model for instance say between the Golf and the Seat equivalent (leon), or would it arguably be cheaper to have all the same quality of sound deadening applied to all the range across different brands?

I can't answer that specific question but I have definitely found extra soundproofing in an A3 that isn't there in a Golf of the same age, so it's plausible.

Back
Top Bottom