• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Disappointing 7950 benchmark results

Man of Honour
I have not long upgraded from two 5850's. Even though the performance in games is great, I've run some benchmarks and cannot help but feel a bit downhearted.

First off, my 3D Mark 11 score was lower than before. It has gone from 7669 down to just over 7500. 3DMark Vantage comes in at around 25300, though I didn't do any tests before. PC Mark Vantage comes in at 19108, it was around the same before.

GPU:

fcv.png

CPU:

cpuw.png

Heaven, using the settings in the benchmark thread:

uniginesg.png

Am I worrying over nothing? Performance in SWTOR and BF3 is fine but I can't help but feel I'm missing out on some performance?

Should I overclock some more? I tried higher settings but the games just froze, I've never upped volts on a card so no idea where to start as in how much extra to give.

System is otherwise as stable as you like, temps rarely go above 65 on the GPU, same for the CPU as well. Case is an FT02B.

Caporegime
I can't recall what stock 7950 voltage is vs 7970, it will be lower though, it always is. A 6970 was 1.175v, a 6950 1.1v, overclocking similar amounts at stock voltage rarely if ever happened, using same voltage they pretty much clocked to the same speed.

7970 voltage will be more than fine, not sure what limit people general go to on 79xx's on air but should be easy enough to find. Most 7950's/70's should geto 1050Mhz + a lot will do a lot more than that as well.

Either way, benchmarks are pretty "meh" and xfire/sli tends to scale much better in benchmarks than games, or is a lot more predictable and tuned. A stock 7950 shouldn't be massively faster than 5850's xfired, more so if the 5850's clocked really well, but especially at higher resolution and higher tesselation settings/games that use more tessellation the 7950 should have a pretty decent lead.

To be honest I rarely benchmark, new system couple just to check everythings working and thats just about it, however I'm assuming that using the extreme tessellation mode on Haven would show a significant difference in performance between 2x5850's and a 7950.

Soldato
Did this need another thread, you've already got one open here?

As mentioned, I saw the same thing coming from 6870CF in benchmarking. Its normal. Try benching some games instead.

Associate
The first time I ran it I got 1422.
I disabled my second monitor and ran it again.

unigine.png

Catalyst control centre looks to be different on mine though?

catalyst.jpg

This is only a 6950.
Something's up with yours.

Soldato
Download and install DriverCleaner, uninstall all AMD drivers & CCC, reboot into Window Safe mode, run DriverCleaner to remove a AMD lefters, reboot, install the latest approved AMD drivers.

AMD drivers leave lots of registry garbage after changing cards. The above process should provide a clean slate to start from.

Man of Honour
OP
Download and install DriverCleaner, uninstall all AMD drivers & CCC, reboot into Window Safe mode, run DriverCleaner to remove a AMD lefters, reboot, install the latest approved AMD drivers.

AMD drivers leave lots of registry garbage after changing cards. The above process should provide a clean slate to start from.

Will do this when I get home.

Beta drivers or official?

Associate
This is my Gigabyte 7950 score with Heaven. I'm overclocked to 1000mhz and on the 12.3 drivers.

Apologies for the format but I'm unsure how to upload the original HTML that Heaven delivers so I've just copied and pasted as below. I'm running an I5 2500k at 4.6 but as far as I know that shouldn't affect the Heaven benchmark much.

Heaven Benchmark v3.0 Basic

FPS: 77.2

Scores: 1944

Min FPS: 39.7

Max FPS: 143.9

Hardware Binary: Windows 32bit Visual C++ 1600 Release Mar 7 2012
Operating system: Windows 7 (build 7601, Service Pack 1) 64bit
CPU model: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz
CPU flags: 3300MHz MMX SSE SSE2 SSE3 SSSE3 SSE41 SSE42 HTT
GPU model: AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series 8.950.0.0 3072Mb

Settings

Render: direct3d11