Disconnecting WiFi - Sony issue or general?

Associate
I've gone from the XZ2 Premium to Xp1 and have noticed both phones disconnect from WiFi periodically.

XZ2 P used to reconnect fairly sharpish but Xp1 sometimes reconnects and at other times requires re-prompting.

Particularly annoying when watching a video or playing a game, it'll either switch to 4G or disconnect altogether...

It's becoming really annoying but I'm not 100% sure if it's a Sony specific issue or if any other manufacturers have it - perhaps it's an Android thing?

So OcUK, any others experience the same or is everyone elses WiFi bombproof?

Last edited:
Soldato
How many SSIDs is it registered to connect to?

I've found the priority can be a bit annoying and sometimes wants to keep swapping between SSIDs. In the end I've just got it registered to the one SSID.

Soldato
Same happens to my XZP. Other devices don't happen to it. I tried changing every single Wi-Fi option and even outright changed to a Unifi setup but it still happens. Nexus 6P, OP2, and my new Tab S5e is rock solid without issues.

Weird thing is, it's completely fine at work, only difference there is it's IPv4 only and ADSL. Apart from that everything is is pretty much similar to my home setup. We're actually in the process of upgrading to a direct line with IPv6 so I'll see if that causes the problem.

I have however found 2.4GHz is more stable, and while I could separate the SSIDs, I'll have to reconfigure everything else in the house :p. Shame Android removed the option to set the phone to a certain frequency only.

Last edited:
Soldato
Did have WiFi issues with Xperia 1, one of the reasons I returned it under 14 days.

It would need prompting to connect to WiFi when it dropped for no reason and apps also had an issue syncing few times a day, only fix was to disconnect and connect to the router again.

Had zero issues with my Samsung S7 Edge before that and S10e following the Sony so never really got to the bottom of it.

Soldato
Just sent my Xperia 1 back for this reason and that 4g would jam up with full signal then suddenly spring back to life a minute later.
I have that wifi issue on my xz1 compact but rarely, on the Xperia 1 it happened way more often.

Back
Top Bottom