discretionary service charge

Soldato
Went out for a meal last night. Went to Gordon Ramsay's restaurants (The Bread Street Kitchen).

Great place. The service was great. The food...... Was good (could've been better). All in all I give the place 4 out of 5 stars.

Whilst looking through my bill I noticed the good old discretionary service charge. I've always been one to have these removed from my bill.

This particular service charge came up to around £9.00 (never seen it this high before) iirc.

So I kindly asked the member of staff to have it removed. The guy gave me this confused look and asked whether there was a problem with the service. I said no and that I just wanted it removed.

Just wanted to know whether you guys have any issues paying these additional fees and what you think of them?

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't agree with them and think a tip should be discretionary and on the merit of the service received. That said, I usually on end up with them when in a group and it's usually around the amount we'd tip, so it's generally left on. I wouldn't give any additional tip mind.

Soldato
I've never really understood the concept of tipping in the UK, where people earn a respectable wage for what they do even without tips, obviously it's a different story in the UK.

It's very rare for me to voluntarily add a tip, as I just don't see why. They get their pay the same as I get mine for doing my job. The whole "to ensure good service" line is a bit of a laugh too, I expect that as I'm paying for the bill in the first place. To deserve extra it would have to be AMAZING!

So no, you're not alone there!

Soldato
I've never really understood the concept of tipping in the UK, where people earn a respectable wage for what they do even without tips, obviously it's a different story in the UK.

It's very rare for me to voluntarily add a tip, as I just don't see why. They get their pay the same as I get mine for doing my job. The whole "to ensure good service" line is a bit of a laugh too, I expect that as I'm paying for the bill in the first place. To deserve extra it would have to be AMAZING!

So no, you're not alone there!

I agree. But if someone puts in extra effort to ensure a more enjoyable experience, I'd add a small tip, preferably for that particular individual rather than it just going in a jar/to the owners, probably just a couple of quid, rather than the 10% that is "expected".

Soldato
Get it removed and add a tip if the person who served us did something extra or really great service. To be honest i'd rather tip whoever cooked my food, at the end of the day i'm not going to a restaurant for service, i'm going for the food.

Permabanned
I agree with the OP on this, I dont mind tipping if the service warrants it, but including it in your bill is just wrong.

This.

I will nearly always tip for good service, or excellent food but cannot stand it when the "tip" is included in the bill already.

Caporegime
I'm not bothered by it if it is stated up front on the menu that there will be a service charge but if there is then I don't bother leaving an additional tip as it has already been included. I don't think the restaurants who put these service charges on the bill do their staff any favours - the 'service charge' can be split with a whole bunch of people including the owners of the restaurant and the person who served you might only see a fraction of it, a month later, in their PAYE.

If the service charge isn't automatically included in the bill then I'll tend to leave a cash tip if the service has been good.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Lol at going to a Gordon Ramsay restaurant then moaning about a service charge.

Permabanned
I'm generally not tight at all but it irks me when they presume a premium for what should be normal service in their establishment. Even if that is a higher than average service, there is a cost premium in the product and generally in their wages.

I tip quite regularly, but I hate presumption. Depending on my mood I'd possible have done the same.

Man of Honour
If it is displayed on the menu, then you have to pay it(depending in wording). I don't mind that.

It's the cheap chain restaurants which don't advertise it and stick it on anyway, which I don't like.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just me and one other. Bill came up to a little over £80.

Yeah that's quite extortionate for two people (a tip of £4.50 a person)

I'm sure most waiters could deliver food to two people within a single trip.

If you had a family of say 6-8 meaning the waiter (or waiters) required several trips then a tip of £1.50 a person isn't too bad.

Back
Top Bottom