1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disgusting display of Racism

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by i-bert, 29 Jul 2021.

1. The Running Man

Caporegime

[​IMG]

50.6% BAME and growing yet Leicester are still offering these grants

BAME Postgraduate scholarships – University of Leicester

The University of Leicester’s College of Social Sciences, Arts and Humanities is offering scholarships to postgraduate students from ethnic minorities to increase diversity in academia.

Award amount: The awards include a full tuition fee waiver and academic support and mentoring.

Mindblowing.

2. Caracus2k

Soldato

This post?

It so I can only assume by saying 'our ancestors' you must mean your are descended from the gentry?

Because your initial post was nonsence.

Muslims slaved more blacks over a longer period of time than white Europeans

Far more white Europeans were taken as slaves by African slavers than Africans taken to what is now the USA by European slavers and most White people had little to no involvement in any of this.

3. Jono8

Caporegime

What does slavery elsewhere or conducted by others have to do with black British people attending Cambridge?

4. The Running Man

Caporegime

Because you are effectively saying it's fine to be racist against white people on the basis of actions taken hundreds of years ago.

But actually black people in Africa are taking slaves and have done for many years, therefore you should be able to discriminate against all people with African heritage on that basis?

We thought the idea was to stamp racism out?

We support equality.

5. explicit4u

Capodecina

You posted stats that show the entire makeup of students, can almost guarantee that BAME stat doesn't translate into postgraduate.

Also wait until you see they have specific ones for Chinese students, asylum seekers, commonwealth students, Syrians/Lebanese/Jordanians/Palestinians, the horror!!

6. Jono8

Caporegime

I'm not. I dont think it is necessarily racist for someone to donate money in an attempt to help the black community have increased representation/success in getting into the country's top universities.

The real question that should be being asked, is why black people were underrepresented in the first place. Which is where my original point comes from.

7. dowie

Capo Crimine

Why not? Discriminating on the basis of race is generally accepted to be racism. Some might try to frame this as so-called positive discrimination, but that's a naive view that just wants to adjust group outcomes without really taking into account any fairness or attempting to address any actual underlying issues.

8. The Running Man

Caporegime

So explain why Leicester Uni is now over 50% BAME and still offering grants ONLY to bame students?

Given the 80% 15% split of the population shouldn't leciester now be offering incentives to anyone BUT bame as they are vastly over represented.

University places are not infinite therefore we can conclude that non bame students to are being forced out of these places unless we can address the balance.

9. Jono8

Caporegime

Im not so sure. I think it really depends on the motivation/intention/reasons for doing so.

I appreciate it is a difficult area (ie when does the good motivation for helping equality etc go too far the other way).

10. The Running Man

Caporegime

To displaced white people?

[​IMG]

11. Jono8

Caporegime

Is that the UK domiciled figure?

12. The Running Man

Caporegime

Its not 50/50.

According to the UK census.

https://www.ethnicity-facts-figures...ations/population-of-england-and-wales/latest

13. explicit4u

Capodecina

That's not how percentages work, the number of students at cambridge identifying as white in the same time period went up from 8146 to 8479.

14. Jono8

Caporegime

15. The Running Man

Caporegime

For domiciled it was 40% bme in 2018

16. Jono8

Caporegime

Well i would say yes, then they have a potential issue the other way then.

17. The Running Man

Caporegime

Bradford uni

18. robgmun

Capodecina

I think he has a good point. The one with the Saturday job will have certain life experiences that the one without didn't. And if everything else is equal then that might sway me to pick the one that has more experience in life and hence possible more mature. Remember, in this case, I wouldn't know who's the black or white person.

19. robgmun

Capodecina

I have wondered this and played out some thought experiments on this. Perhaps if we have never enslaving black people. There would be almost no black people in the US and Europe and we'd be a far more homogeneous culture like in China, Japan or India. Would our view of black people be better or worse than it is now? I honestly don't know.

20. G-MAN2004

Caporegime

Yes, just to Asian people. It's impossible to be racist against white people (do they even count as people?)