Disposing of old hard drives

Soldato
How do you folks usually get rid of old hard drives? I have 4 here that I need to get rid of, 2 are dead/dying, 2 are just very old and not much space on them. Do they require any sort of special waste disposal?

Thanks

Associate
They can just be chucked in the bin.
Edit - I stand corrected, see below.

Either secure erase or destroy them though before you do it if just to make sure nothing can be retrieved.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Please don't just bin it, there are regulations in place specifically to attempt to prevent electronics/electricals making their way to landfill.

Retailers have to conform to the WEEE directive, so many of them offer free electronics recycling in store, regardless of whether you're a customer or not. Have a Google about for your local big stores. Your local tip should also have an electronics bin.

Soldato
Open them up
Some serious magnets in there,very handy on a piece of string to get metal objects you have dropped
Have used this to get my hammer back after dropping it 2 storeys down a cavity wall:D

Soldato
Remove all the platters, gouge them deeply across the entire surface, then two pairs of pliers to deform the platters.

Be careful, though - some platters were made from glass and will shatter and splinter in all directions.

VoG

VoG

Soldato
I strip them & take the platters into work, do a couple of high heat zigzag passes over them with the weld plant & there just garbage after that, toss their remains in with the rest of the metal off cuts/scrap to be recycled.

Back
Top Bottom