Dissapointed with the Gen 10 HP MicroServer

Soldato
I have a gen 8 microserver I use it with XPenology and DSM software. Perfect for my home needs.

I was looking forward to a new microserver.

However now it is released I'm really dissapointed.
AMD CPU which is none removable.
No iLO support

This isn't a step up in my opinion, I will just stick with my gen 8 server for now.

Man of Honour
I agree, I've had a Gen 8 in the past and it was a decent bit of kit but I sold it as I wasn't really making proper use of it. Since getting my own place I've been looking at finally sorting my home network out and after looking back at how little they've dropped in price I felt like waiting until the new one came out, which, as you say, hasn't been the same sort of product at all. I think this is unfortunately the result of the massive success HP have had with their previous products; they've built their brand up so much now that the Gen 10 will most likely sell despite the lack of features compared to previous iterations.

I'll probably just end up getting a Gen 8 again now :p

Soldato
I have a gen 8 microserver I use it with XPenology and DSM software. Perfect for my home needs.

I was looking forward to a new microserver.

However now it is released I'm really dissapointed.
AMD CPU which is none removable.
No iLO support

This isn't a step up in my opinion, I will just stick with my gen 8 server for now.

Why not drop a Xeon E3-1265v2 (I think thats the model) into it? All of the spending and you get a simply amazing home server.

Soldato
HP seem to have decided that people really want crappy storage/network controllers, no iLO and old non upgradable AMD CPU’s. I appreciate the G8 was hitting above it’s class in terms of features, but this feels like we’ve had a lot taken away. G8’s are clearly still the better option.

Last edited:
Associate
Same boat as you guys, currently have a Gen 8, was really looking forward to the Gen 10, but it appears to be a huge step back.

My Gen 8 is pretty much a perfect spec for my needs:
Intel Xeon E3 1265L v2
16GB Hynix RAM
Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1050ti OC - low profile (dual slot, but modified the motherboard tray)
x2 8TB Seagate ironwolfs
x2 6TB WD Reds
x2 2TB WD Reds (currently out the case for backups)
240GB Kingston SSD

It even plays GTA 5 in full settings at 1080p. The Gen 10 wont do that I'm pretty certain!

Associate
Haha yeah would be good to have access to the store on here... While off yet!
I'd sell it but have two buddies at work who both want it for their gen 8's
It's a great cpu, but need a little more raw grunt. Will try the 1280 out with stock cooler and some plastic ducting first, before I spent money on the overpriced hp 65w heatsink.
I'd also check out the 1260l and 1265l v1, third of the price of the v2 and not a lot of difference in performance in the real world. I've had the 1260l already.

Associate
Same boat as you guys, currently have a Gen 8, was really looking forward to the Gen 10, but it appears to be a huge step back.

Intel Xeon E3 1265L v2
16GB Hynix RAM
Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1050ti OC - low profile (dual slot, but modified the motherboard tray)
x2 8TB Seagate ironwolfs
x2 6TB WD Reds
240GB Kingston SSD

It even plays GTA 5 in full settings at 1080p. The Gen 10 wont do that I'm pretty certain!

lol :) pretty awesome. Got the same CPU in mine. Had never considered using it for gaming hah!

Associate
It works really well for gaming all things considered, I'd never intended for it to be used this way, but it's certainly up to the job! I had the i3 3240 and a 750ti in there prior, which also ran GTA pretty well, but the new CPU and GPU is a different league, GTA is constant over 60fps :)

To get the 1050ti in there I just took a dremel to the mobo tray and used a Stanley knife to shave the lip of the power block to stop it fouling on the fan. I believe the MSI 1050ti also fits, but I went for the Gigabyte as it was slightly smaller and came with a higher clock speed. I'm using MSI afterburner to clock it, so core clock boosts to 1911mhz and memory is running at 8005ghz.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

Intel Xeon E3 1265L v2
16GB Hynix RAM
x2 8TB Seagate ironwolfs
x2 6TB WD Reds
240GB Kingston SSD

The 1265L v2 has got to be close to the top of the list of magical engineering achievements of performance vs power consumption. That thing is just incredible, and they are EXPENSIVE as a result!

Associate
They certainly aren't cheap, I paid £160 for mine I think. Reason they seem so popular is they are only 45w TDP so can run on the passive heatsink with no issue. My Gen8 sits inside my TV cabinet on a shelf with the door close and the case on and even when gaming and the 1050ti gets up to 81 degrees, there's no heat issues. That's with the BIOS fan setting on lowest too!

I would like an E3 1280 v2 for the added performance, but would mean additional cooling would be needed and I don't think I want to spend anymore on it, as it's already exceeded my usage requirements... I'll just build a gaming rig next year. Do I go Ryzen 1600 though, or grab myself an E5 2690 v2 and RAM from an old server and just buy an LGA2011 v1 board... decisions decisions!

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

An E5 system will be really power hungry, so I doubt you’d be able to run it in the tv cabinet. What is Ryzen power consumption like?

Associate
These wont be to sit in the TV cabinet, I'll have a desk for the gaming machine, so the wife can watch her TV shows while I shoot people in the face on GTA :)

The Ryzen I was looking at was the 1600, I think they are only 65w TDP, Xeon is around double. It a tough one, the AMD will be future proofing to a degree with the board having a longer life, but games appear to be getting more multi threaded these days. It's a bit of a mine field!

Gen8 will be staying where it is though, as I use it as our household Plex and Mezzmo server and all of our movies, tv shows and music are on there.

Soldato
I went from an N56L with an 4th gen i5 NUC handling Plex to a 1700 (8c/16t, 65w), capable of 4Ghz per core overclockers, longevity of socket type etc.

At the time I compared that to x99 and QS Xeon’s.

Price was about the same, intel was more mature/supported, power efficient etc. but 2011-3 was going EoL. CPU wise I could have more slower cores for similar money. Now Plex officially supports hardware transcoding the newer desktop intel CPU’s would be a consideration as x265 transcoding can be brutal if the client doesn’t do direct play.

Back
Top Bottom