Distortion / Overdrive pedal

Associate
Anyone have any advice on a really great Dis/OD pedal?

Basically what I want is a smooth, creamy, big ringing sound, not a fuzz sound which seems to be quite popular these days. I'd like the sound to be uniform and tail off into a nice musical feedback. Too many pedals seems to sound too dry with with fizzy undertones and frequency clashes that don't sit together.

The pedals I've tried and which haven't worked for me so far are a Boss DS2 (too mushy), a Boss SD1 (too nasal, no low end) and a Marshall Guvnor (too grunty). I've tried a bunch of cheapo pedals also, but they were all terrible.

I have about £100 to spare, maybe a little more if I find something special.

I know a high end valve amp would certainly get me this sound, but I'm sure there's a pedal out there which can help me get closer to what I want.

Associate
Always liked my Danelectro FabTone, a pretty 'phat' sound. Also the Marshall JackHammer is a good one. its got some good frequency control but not as much balls as the FabTone :)

Associate
It does depend what amp you're running it into.

I've got a TS9 and I used to run it into a Marshall AVT150 and it sounded pants.

I've now got a Vox AC30 and the TS9 sounds brilliant infront of it.

From what I've heard the Pro-Co Rat is meant to be a very versatile pedal.

Best thing to do is go to a shop and try them with your amp or something very similar because certain amps take pedals better than others.

Associate
OP
The Marshall pedals are looking quite cheap. Just checked out their site and the Guvnor pedal is a totally new model compared to the one I had.

Tubescreamer is not what I'm looking for, as they work best when driving an already overdriven valve amp I believe. I want something that gives a full on, sustained chord like ringing sound, out of the box.

I thought the Proco Rat pedals were like fuzz pedals?

Associate
Rare, but ebay a Mesa Boogie V-Twin, probably the best distortion pedal out there for your needs, and very versatile. The physical pedal is massive, but it contains 2 valves for extra classic goodness :) They usually sell for 200ish, though.... :S

-C

Associate
OP
FireMoon said:
If you have a credit card just order it from them direct...

As good as they look, I'm still wary of spending that much moolah on a pedal I haven't personally been able to try.

The Mesa sounds good, fairly sure I could find a shop with one of those to try.

And I've been told the DS1 is a good pedal, cheap too. That mod must do a lot to warrant the jump in cost though (£39 stock).

Associate
Firstly ,just to say i have no connection with the G2D people at all... however try looking for one on Ebay and chances are you get a big fat 0 return on the search...

I have a Morpheus as do several of my mates and not one of us would contemplate selling it... and the same goes for the drive pedals.. So far, i dont know a single person who has even considered flogging theirs...

if you do try one and decide you dont like it, im pretty much, sure you'd have no problems selling it on for very little loss...

Associate
OP
The DS2 seems to divide people. Kurt Cobain liked them. I just sold mine today cos I hated it - as I said, too mushy.

Associate
OP
I only have £100, not £800 :)

I know there is a compromise, but I'm sure there is a sound out there I'll like. Some good recommendations anyway, the Mesa and G2D seem like good options.

Back
Top Bottom