DIY Bike Shed

Soldato
We don't have any outside storage and as such we currently keep bikes and garden equipment in the house.

Obviously I'd like this to change!

Looking at bike sheds online and it seems to be most reputable sellers are based in England and as such we're looking at £100 upwards just for delivery.

As such I feel I can probably build something for less (factoring this in)

aZVh3GM.jpg.png

Never built something from my own design before but it's quite specific in size (800mm x 2200mm) with 12mm tongue and groove and built entirely from 38mm x 63mm treated timber with a 12mm exterior ply floor.

Anything I need to be considering? It obviously doesn't need to be the most sturdy building in the world but I would like to keep my bike relatively safe and keep things dry.

J7R7HwM.png

EDIT: Added cladding and had re-calculate some of the lenghts of the joints to ensure the roof fitted on top! :)

QmlqiNZ.png

Check fittings in VR - because why not! :D
Z9oJZc5.gif

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yeah, sketchup.

It's going to get a second pass for polish. I've missed a couple of caveats by skimping on the tongue and groove model (i.e. it needs covers on the corners to cover the exposed lapping joints)

SPG

SPG

Soldato
By the time you have farted around with all that wood, get some steel box section and hire a welder and DIY yourself.

Soldato
OP
Alarm and vents, noted! :)

Welding something like this seems a bit extreme considering I've got no experience with. Using it as a bit of a practice project for a garden shed / sun house in the future as well.

Soldato
OP
I think I've worked out all the trim required (i.e. the corner pieces).

For things like locks I'll need to have a look around to see what the dealio is with them - never really had a good look at a shed before to understand how they work and can't just be unscrewed! Guess I'll find out tomorrow! :)

LOBw0xE.jpg.png

Soldato
Looks good, maybe a bit over engineered for the size :p. If anything i'd just be tempted to give the roof a little more overhang to make sure rain dripping from the edge doesnt get blown back and through the top of the door.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silverlin...mm-/252409473117?_trksid=p2385738.m2548.l4275

How about something like this for the lock? No point spending too much as they will just bar the roof off if they can't get through the lock.

Last edited:
Soldato
How about making an opening at either end (gable end if it was a house) and a track or groove on the floor so you can simply push the bike in rather than faffing about with doors? A solar powered light with motion detection so you can see inside on those dark mornings and nights.

Soldato
I would also make a base up out of treated 3x3 fence posts then put shed on top and put lowest tongue and grooved side piece overlapping the base of shed and 3x3 base - no water can run into your shed base - from my readings of drawing you have put shed on a flat base ie- plywood and if so that needs to be off floor.

What I did with mine was staple roofing felt all round out side from bottom up then put cladding on - My garage never suffered from draughts or damp.

Soldato
OP
Yeah, the base hasn't been through in drawings. I was just going to put it on a couple of treated timbers to lift it off the ground.

I considered the openings on the ends but the plans is that the door width is the same as the bike itself so it can easily put in and out on a daily basis.

Either way I'm going to have to faff around with doors :)

Soldato
OP
It's not just a bike going in there. It's a compromise to serve as storage for a lawn mower, tiller, strimmer etc so door in the end would make getting that kind of stuff much harder.

Back
Top Bottom