Diy bookshelf speakers.

Associate
Hey guys

Basically for my college project, I want to build a pair of bookshelf speakers. As bookshelf speakers go, they will have a tweeter at the top, and a Mid range driver at the bottom.

I am struggling to find information on how to wire this all up together, if anyone can show me how, or point me in the right direction, I would appreciate that.

Thanks.

Soldato
I highly recommend you go to DIYAudio's forums and pick a proven design, like something from Zaph Audio, where you'll have the complete a-z on things like cabinet construction and most importantly - creating and setting the crossover between the drivers.

Things like subwoofers and single full-range drivers for horns etc are much easier to do because they're a single powered speaker and don't require setting crossovers, although by comparison cabinet construction for them is trickier.

Kei

Kei

Soldato
I built a subwoofer for my GCSE technology project nearly 10 years ago. Still using it now, exactly as built. I've also rebuilt some vintage bookshelf speakers with new drivers. All of mine have been done from scratch, not using anyone else's designs. You need to use some software to plot the frequency response to stand any hope of doing it right. (I've used an old program called abacus, I've also used one called basta which is more sophisticated)

You need to know the basics for low end response as the cabinet you build needs to be the right volume for the driver (speaker) you are fitting. Infinite baffle speakers are technically the simplest as they are a sealed box. (need to be airtight) All my speakers have been in ported boxes which basically have a hole with a tube of specific length and diameter fitted to help improve bass response. The cabinet will also need to be stuffed with foam/wool/wadding etc to reduce problems with reflections and standing waves internally.

You can do it in two ways, choose the drivers and design the cabinet to suit (easier) or design the cabinet and then find a driver that suits the design. The drivers you choose need to be of decent quality. Companies like falcon acoustics, europe-audio and wilmslow audio are the ideal places to look for the parts. (remember that you are paying a per driver price so you need to buy two of everything)

The crossover is a network of frequency filtration components (capacitors and inductors) that filter out frequencies so that each speaker sees the frequencies that they are designed to handle. (i.e. removing bass frequencies from the signal going to the tweeter, known as a high pass filter) The easieset approach here is to buy some pre-made ones or a kit if you can solder that have crossover frequencies suited to the drivers you are using. The norm for a 2 way design (tweeter and midbass) is a crossover point around 3.5KHz. (I'm looking at getting some of these for my bookshelf speakers.) There will be 3 pairs of connections on a normal 2 way crossover. +/- for the midbass, +/- for the tweeter and +/- for the input signal.

Associate
OP
I've started a thread on DIYAudio and the guys there are excellent. Looking at building this now:
Clicky

Thanks for the advise guys.

When I get round to building the speakers I will post it on here.

Back
Top Bottom