DELETED_5873

Caporegime
There is a cavity on the existing house and I have fitted a verticle damp proof course (you can see the cut in the last picture to the right of the blocks), I have no requirement to continue the cavity. I do have to either fit a cavity tray above the roof line or seal the brickwork/mortar with an appropriate silicone solution. I did consider toothing it in but its a small detail compared with the extra work which will be hidden by a new gate later on. Building movement can also cause cracking when toothing the bricks into an existing wall due to different building methods and foundations

@eviled you can have a fullfill cavity if you so wish but it has to be specced corrcetly to avoid damp

Was just checking, I know in our area the building inspectors all require cavities to be continued.

Yes there are some stories of movement and cracking when toothing walls in, but in my own experience I think the benefit of looks far outweigh the issues of possible movement, and as I say around here all cavities must be continued, so toothing in is the easiest way of doing that.

Also your house looks quite old so I woudl imagine has done all its settling now, and with such deep modern foundations and lightweight nature of your extension, I doubt you will ever get any differential movement to worry about.

Damn good work though, keep it up and keep going with the updates :)

Soldato
good progress but left wondering why you never built up to the boundary? that gap would annoy the hell out of me but guess u got a reason why you did not use the extra space.

Back
Top Bottom