1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DJ3630 Sharing

Discussion in 'Printers' started by Cheemag, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Cheemag

Associate

Hello Again,

I installed a DJ3630 on computer AA on USB. It works fine from that computer, but trying to print from computer BB is a waste of time; I just cannot get it to print from the remote machine.

It's seen by the guest computer and can be deleted and reinstalled from there, but just will not print. Running the 'Fix Print Spooler' routine on one or both machines makes no difference.

Must stress it's on USB and not WiFi and the machines are connected over
    ethernet. Printer sharing is active.

What else might I try?

HP's support is somewhat less useful than an ashtray on a motorcycle.

Regards,
    --

Cheemag

2. MonkeyMan

Mobster

Any reason you can't have the printer connected directly to the network via Wi-Fi? Makes things a lot simpler.

3. Cheemag

Associate

Thank you for your response.

I tried networking it using the automatic setup, but that didn't work either.

My three desktops are ethernet-connected, they aren't on wifi, (if that makes a difference). Only the tablets are on wifi and they don't need printers.

Regards,

Cheemag

4. MonkeyMan

Mobster

I assume they are all on the same network though so the desktops will still find the printer if its connected via wifi. I don't think the DJ3630 has a screen does it so you'll need to copy the network details from the pc during setup. This may have failed as your computers won't have any wireless network details on them, do you remember if it asked for the wireless network name and password? (It may have a WPS button if your router supports it.)

As to your original question I'm afraid I haven't used windows printer sharing for a long time now (since XP i think) as it seems pretty redundant but I can't think why it wouldn't work. I see file and printer sharing is enabled but have you tested that the computers can access shared network folders?

5. Cheemag

Associate

They are all on the same network (WORKGROUP) and file and printer sharing is in place and shared folders can be accessed by three machines and various tablets. CC and AA can access the Epson printer on BB, but BB cannot access the DJ3630 on AA. The DJ has a screen with a wireless button. The router is a Netgear Nighthawk which also has a WPS button, but I cannot now remember whether the printer asked for a username and password.

As it now happens, BB is over ten years old and I really want to scrap it, so after all this may no longer be applicable. Its place will be taken by CC, but whether that will exhibit the same behavious remains to be seen.

We'll see what happens when I change over the computers in the near future.

Thank you for your contribution.

Regards

Cheemag

6. MonkeyMan

Mobster

As you have a WPS compatible router, try this to connect the printer:

After you'll need to change your connection method for the printer from USB to network:

or just uninstall and re-install the software if that doesn't work.

Perhaps someone else knows more about printer sharing in windows but if you can get it on your network independently it will be the better solution (won't require a pc to be on for one).

7. Cheemag

Associate

I tried everything you mentioned and downloaded the Easystart prog. It got the printer working after a fashion with the WPS system but I can only use it from another machine via the HPeprint system which has little or nothing to do with wireless.

The printer appears on the network only on the ethernet-connected printers, but is not seen by any of the tablets on wifi.

Trying to install it on either of the ethernet printers fails as it cannot find the drivers for the WSD print device. On BB there is was a DJ3630 printer installed whose properties said it was a WSD print device. I couldn't uninstall it in control panel, only in Device Manager.

Trying to connect to the printer from CC gave the same results - no drivers for WSD print device.

I may try that, but I've done this more than once with the same outcome.

Regards

Cheemag