Dnd suitable for kids

Soldato
Hi all.

Brother wants to play dnd with our nieces at xmas. They dont know anything about dnd neither does my brother tbh except he wants to try it with em.

Whats the easiest way to go about this. Not wanting to buy anything expensive tbh as might not really like it.

Found this but no idea if its good for total newbs who dont really play board games or the likes and dunno if they would like dnd in the first place but like i said brother keeps talking about it to our 3 nieces so..

Youngest is 6 eldest niece is 15 and the middle one is 11. All girls of course.

I might play with em depends if its long winded or not. :p As i have a terrible attention span.

http://www.susanjmorris.com/dd-for-kids/

You can print out 14 pages of stuff, no idea what it all is well i know some stuff due to playing rpg in pc games but ive never really wanted to do boring table top stuff myself but again this is mainly for brother who wants to try dnd kids version if possible at xmas with our nieces.

So any advice is welcome and ill pass it along.

Soldato
Hop over to ENWorld.org and ask there. I remember that there was a thread about someone playing with his young niece, but can't pinpoint it.

This isn't the thread I had in mind but may be of use.

See also this post. Anyway, ask there for help.

TLDR: for the youngest concentrate on the story.

Soldato
Honestly if grab the latest starter kit, read the given adventure and get familiar with it but then alter it to suit the audience.

Riding horses? I think you meant unicorns!

My imagination is suffering right now but you get the idea!

Soldato
I think the age range will be a bit much for a lengthy campaign as something for the 6 year old may bore the 15 year old and something to satisfy a 15 year old may be too long for a 6yr old.

Its a bit pricey but Mice and Mystics is an RPG in the box cooperative board game, short of that (but still expensive) you could look into something like descent where you could play as the overlord and can adjust difficulty on the fly.

Soldato
15 and 11 year old you should no bother with (assuming they want to play) but you may have bother with the youngest.

My five year old wanted to get involved in our dnd group and whilst it was amusing it ended up not really being a dnd session, just became a collaborative story telling session as he wasn't really interested/didn't get the dice element and quite simply would accept it when the dice said he failed :p it was amusing as a collaboarstove story session and showed the depth of his imagination but it wasn't "real" dnd.

For the older ones grab the starter kit (about £20?) and give that a go, alternatively DMGuild has some good one shot adventures. There is one which can be amusing called something along the lines of goblin-pendance day basically a laugh with goblins in a firework factory.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom