Do all AMD B450 mobos auto boost all cpus, or only the X versions?

Soldato
I've just ordered the following setup, should all be here by Friday:

Ryzen 5 core 2600, 3.90 ghz
2x8 gb Vulcan T-force 3000mhz memory
MSI B450 Tomahawk.

Now, I'm ok with manual overclocking (apparently real easy now), but will this mobo automatically boost the cpu to maximum, 3.9mhz, or does it only do that with the X versions of the cpus?
It comes with the wraith cooler which is supposedly very good but I'll probs replace it with summat better a little later on.

Soldato
OP
Well the B450 Tomahawk has turned up. I couldn't get it from Ocuk which I would've preferred, but obviously no available stock when I ordered.
First impressions is the appearance is very nice, a sort of semi-matt finish with none of the garish plastics/colours on some of the other mobos I've seen. One thing is immediately apparent is the weight of the thing. It feels very solid and sturdy, and I noticed the heat sinks being seem to be quite solid also when tapped with say, a fingernail bearing out what I read and heard about these boards on the interweb.
Theres also no less than 5 fan headers as well which is nice, and the I/O plate has a nice black colour printed on it rather than just a bare metal (not important but aesthetically pleasing to the eye.
Once I've got the R5 2600, ram and the system up and running, I'll give a short resume if anyones interested.

Associate
Looking forward to seeing how you get on, I have the same board and CPU arriving later this week, so will be interesting to hear your thoughts on setup etc. Thanks

Soldato
OP
Ok, this may or may not be useful info but I had the devil's own job trying to install win 10 from a usb stick to a 240 gb team ssd. It kept coming up with "no drivers or software found".
After mucho faffing about it turned out that I had to use different usb port! It worked fine using the usb port under the ethernet port/socket, so someone might find this useful.

Soldato
OP
All up and running now. I did a quick overclock in the bios, just bumped up the cpu ratio in steps to 4.25ghz and all is fine. I tried 4.3 but the pc locked as soon as cinebench started. I tried the ram at 3200mhz which it passed after "5 trys" in the bios (this is a feature in that it'll test the ram overclock 5 times and if it passes, it'll boot into windows). Bear in mind I didn't touch any voltages whatsoever and I might try messing around with those later on.
I must admit, I'm quite impressed so far with the performance, especially when you consider the cost of the initial outlay. I also like the bios layout as even an old git like me can get to grips with it reasonably quickly.

Back
Top Bottom