Do Blind People Need Less Sleep?

Soldato
Heres something different for you. A question insired by Karl Pilkington.

The first sign of being tired and needing sleep is you feel your eyes getting heavy, now do blind people get this sensation too? or do they lack it? Surely if they lack it they can live off a lot less sleep as tiredness will effect them less?

:p

Caporegime
Im pretty sure blind people still get tired ie tired eyes. Just because they cant see doesnt mean they still dont feel it...unless their eyes are taken out??

Ermmm i dunno really, above was just a wild guess but its an interesting question...

Soldato
I guess it would depend on whether the blind person kept their eyes open or still blinked (Which they would, I should imagine...), and perhaps on the form of the blindness (damage to the optic nerve or to the eyeball itself?).
Interesting thought.

Permabanned
Spawn said:
Im pretty sure blind people still get tired ie tired eyes. Just because they cant see doesnt mean they still dont feel it...unless their eyes are taken out??

Why would they have their eyes taken out?

Unless they're diseased or something, I can't imagine it being of any point to anybody to surgically remove a blind person's eyes.

Caporegime
iCraig said:

Unless they're diseased or something, I can't imagine it being of any point to anybody to surgically remove a blind person's eyes.

I dont know *shrugs*...if i was blind id ask them to take my eyes out so i can keep them in a bottle of formaldehyde(sp)...although still wouldnt be able to see them:p due to being blind:D

Soldato
Spawn said:
I dont know *shrugs*...if i was blind id ask them to take my eyes out so i can keep them in a bottle of formaldehyde(sp)...although still wouldnt be able to see them:p due to being blind:D

Be annoying if they suddenly started working again, and you'd spend the rest of your life looking out of a glass bottle. Then again, be interesting to see yourself come into the room.
This thread has taken a strange direction.

Caporegime
iCraig said:

I think his point was that unless theoretically they have no eyes physically in their sockets, then yes they would get tired eyes. Not that there was actually any reason for removing their eyes.

Caporegime
Richdog said:
I think his point was that unless theoretically they have no eyes physically in their sockets, then yes they would get tired eyes. Not that there was actually any reason for removing their eyes.

Yayyy for Richdog \o/ :D...that was the point...theoretical that is or hypothetical if you like:).

Soldato
Stellios said:
Heres something different for you. A question insired by Karl Pilkington.

The first sign of being tired and needing sleep is you feel your eyes getting heavy, now do blind people get this sensation too? or do they lack it? Surely if they lack it they can live off a lot less sleep as tiredness will effect them less?

:p

Serious question?? Really?

When your thirsty you feel it in your mouth? Does your mouth need water?

Soldato
emailiscrap said:

If you want your sig to show wrap it in

Josh

Man of Honour
A blind person might need slightly less sleep as their brain (which takes a lot of a person's resources) is doing less work.

Although perhaps it isn't doing less work. Less on processing visual input, more on processing the input from other senses. Maybe the overall load remains the same.

Man of Honour
Angilion said:
A blind person might need slightly less sleep as their brain (which takes a lot of a person's resources) is doing less work.

Although perhaps it isn't doing less work. Less on processing visual input, more on processing the input from other senses. Maybe the overall load remains the same.
I believe it would be doing similar levels of processing as they just pay more attention to the other senses.

Back
Top Bottom