Do dogs smell?

Man of Honour
Some dogs stink, some don't. As has been said it depends on the breed. My staffies are fine (and no it's not because I'm used to the smell), they regularly go swimming in the local river and have a shower afterwards though, maybe that's why?

Conversely, I went to a house party last week where the owner had three West Highland terriers and that house certainly reeks.

I'd rather have an obedient, affectionate, intelligent dog over a self serving feline any day of the week though, stinky or not.

Associate
I was told once (and I was not that bothered whether it was true or not so didn't ever check it out) that apparently dogs evolved to roll around in crap and thereby smell bad as a hunting mechanism to avoid them being smelt on the wind. Cats evolved the other way and try to avoid any smell at all (which ties in with them being ambush predators) which is why they're so fastidious about cleaning and not smelling.

Edit: Of course that may be rubbish, I don't really know.

I'm sure I read somewhere that the reason why cats tend to be 'cleaning' themselves a lot is because they are trying to remove an unwanted scent (usually the owner) when they stimulate the areas (paws, behind the ears) their own scent comes out.

Same reason why they rub against you as it puts their smell onto you marking you as 'mine'.
Can't be bothered to check up on that though! Was told to me from a girl who was working in the vets.

*edit*
Oh with the masking the smell bit, cats that don't attempt to hide their feces are usually ones who claim to be dominant of a certain area so showing his/her rocks off a bit.

Soldato
I find some dogs smell stronger than others, labradors and spaniels seem to be among the stongest.

In my experience dogs with coarser fur like border terriers and jack Russell's don't tend to have much smell.

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
TBH, it's getting a bit wearing. There seems to be a lot of bitching here at the moment. (and yes, while I've been a registered member here a few months, I've been a lurker for YEARS, so I know what it WAS like).

Jesus H Christ.

Are you serious? You've got to be kidding me? You're complaining about bitching by... bitching about it? :D

In what way is the idea of literally punching letters into someones eyeballs not funny? He missed the part of my post where I clearly indicated the spirit of my post was the same as his, ie jovial.

Soldato
I think some people are being a bit overly dramatic - I don't have a dog myself but know lots of people who do - I've never thought that their entire house stinks, their dog either. When a dog comes up to you, and/or you've been stroking it, it does leave a smell that makes me want to wash my hands but I don't find it repulsive.

If you keep your house clean then it shouldn't smell whether you have a dog or not.

Back
Top Bottom