Do fans get louder as they get older?

Soldato
I use Speedfan to control my case fans and they seem louder at the same RPM/%, is it because the bearings are getting old? Having Googled the subject it appears no-one has tested it so has intrigued me, bearings on cards get older and have more friction so why not case fans?

Soldato
OP
Could be... Depends on the noise being made.
A duff bearing tends to be more grindy than just a loud fan, and it will most likely be one fan going rather than all of them deteriorating at an exactly matched rate...

However, most of what you'd call 'fan' noise is actually the airflow passing through grilles, radiators, meshes and other restrictive spaces. The more restrictive the space, the louder the airflow noise.... and these spaces often get clogged up with dust.
Tell me, when was the last time you blasted all the dust out?
I don't do it that often, although I've got filters on so the actual case and fans don't get that dusty, I'll clean em out now you mention it as they will be disgusting!

They are actually really clean! Haven't used it as much as usual over the last month or two.

Associate
I use Speedfan to control my case fans and they seem louder at the same RPM/%, is it because the bearings are getting old? Having Googled the subject it appears no-one has tested it so has intrigued me, bearings on cards get older and have more friction so why not case fans?

It all really depends on the quality of the fans. As to how long you fan might last until the bearings start to make a grinding or rattling noise.

Some companies will cheap out on their case fans that they supply with a case. My Corsair case had a bad rear fan in it from new. And one of the front intakes started to make a grinding sound after just a couple of months.

I have Noctua fans that are on the more expensive side that are over 6 years old that sound as good as the day I bought them.

Soldato
OP
It all really depends on the quality of the fans. As to how long you fan might last until the bearings start to make a grinding or rattling noise.

Some companies will cheap out on their case fans that they supply with a case. My Corsair case had a bad rear fan in it from new. And one of the front intakes started to make a grinding sound after just a couple of months.

I have Noctua fans that are on the more expensive side that are over 6 years old that sound as good as the day I bought them.
Mine are Akasa Vipers, when it comes to redoing my rig I'll probably replace them, originally Noctua was going to be the brand I went with however the colour scheme isn't the best, Redux arn't too bad I suppose.

Permabanned
The obvious answer is yes, they do get louder. With some exercises like, for example, washing them carefully, drying them carefully and then changing the lubricant inside, you can help but the result is never long lasting.

Back
Top Bottom