do glasses make your eyesight worse ?

Man of Honour
I really think glasses do make your eyesight worse. I was told in a routine work eye test in 1993(!) that I was long sighted and needed glasses for reading/VDU(lol) work, but I found the compromise of wearing them not worth it so I chucked them. Every time I've had an eye test in the 26 years since nothing has changed, and in fact these days I'm told I don't need glasses at all. On the flipside I've seen people get glasses when in their teens/early 20s and they get stronger and stronger prescriptions over the years.
I doubt it - I have been wearing glasses since I was 11, and my prescription has barely changed since I was about 16/17 which is 24 years with almost no change.

Associate
Additionally, for some people the shape of the eyeball changes over time.....we sometimes refer to "footballs and rugby balls" for eyeball shape, and you can start off with one shape and gradually change to the other as you get older (unilaterally or bilaterally). This has the effect of altering the focal distance between the lens and the retina, and thus requiring a change in prescription.

Associate
I'm inclined to say glasses do make eyesight worse, at least in my experience with myopia.

I finally had to get glasses with a -2.25 prescription. One year later, I needed a -3.75 prescription - a phenomenal deterioration. I immediately switched to contact lenses, and since then (about 15 years+), my eyesight has only declined by a further -0.50 and seems to now be holding steady.

Soldato
Supposedly they make the muscle lazy. Eyes are controlled by muscles like the rest of the body. If you don't exercise them, they become weaker. More people have bad eyesight now because they are staring at monitors from 2ft away and not having to change focus.

I "needed" glasses when I was a kid, hardly ever used them and as an adult I have near perfect vision. So my eyesight actually improved as I got older.

Last edited:
Soldato
Been wearing them since I was about 7 so nearly 50 years. Needed new prescription every year until I was in late teens then it stopped until I got to middle age when I started needing varifocals for close up. Shape of the eyes apparently (elongated i.e. myopia) nothing to do with eye muscles.

One things for sure I can't see a damn thing without them lol.

Soldato
You can definately damage your eyes but not looking after them, for example I had my first eye test for about 25 years and got prescribed glasses. I now realise how blurred my eyesight has become and I know it's partly, or largely due to sitting infront of a PC screen for years and years. By viewing things at such short distances and not longer distances my eyes have become physically damaged (myopia). Since i've become aware of this I've stopped using the PC as much and I would say they've improved but I'm definately a believer that if you don't use your eyes probably they will physically damage.

So I would imagine that using glasses could damage your eyes as it's not natural for them to see things through the lens of a glass.

That is not how myopia works. There is no conclusive evidence behind a cause for myopia beyond genetic + lack of sun exposure as a child.

Wearing the wrong glasses can NOT permanently damage your eyes. Ever. There is far too much misinformation in this thread. The rise of digital screens and the like is correlated with the rise in myopia due to children not getting proper sunlight exposure for healthy eye development, but it in of itself is not a direct cause.

Soldato
This seems like an appropriate thread to ask this question :).

Sometimes when I am reading a book, I need to close my right eye to be able to read correctly. Should I go to opticians? To me, it feels like my eyesight is perfect but not sure why I have to squint.

Yes. Squinting means you are taking advantage of the pinhole effect (look it up) to increase your ability to see. It means that eye needs correction.

Additionally, for some people the shape of the eyeball changes over time.....we sometimes refer to "footballs and rugby balls" for eyeball shape, and you can start off with one shape and gradually change to the other as you get older (unilaterally or bilaterally). This has the effect of altering the focal distance between the lens and the retina, and thus requiring a change in prescription.

Myopia progression usually stops entirely in your early to mid-20s. It is very uncommon for myopia to progress past that age unless it is quite severe.

Soldato
That is not how myopia works. There is no conclusive evidence behind a cause for myopia beyond genetic + lack of sun exposure as a child.

Wearing the wrong glasses can NOT permanently damage your eyes. Ever. There is far too much misinformation in this thread. The rise of digital screens and the like is correlated with the rise in myopia due to children not getting proper sunlight exposure for healthy eye development, but it in of itself is not a direct cause.

I get that, directly or indirectly you can damage your eyes.

Soldato
Yet you claim you screwed up your eyes by spending too much time in front of the screen, which in itself is incorrect. If it was because you avoided going outside when growing up then yes, but when you reached adulthood you no longer were doing anything additional. Saying 'the screen did it' as most people do just causes needless alarm in adults. It's the children who need to be kicked outdoors.

It is very difficult to permanently damage your eyes short of the above or staring into the sun/a laser. There is also really nothing you can 'do' to prevent the effects of ageing, short of wearing sunglasses whenever outdoors to avoid UV exposure that leads to cataract formation.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
It shouldnt matter but i will never get my eyes tested as specsavers ever again. Independent optometrist all the way.

Soldato
Yet you claim you screwed up your eyes by spending too much time in front of the screen, which in itself is incorrect. If it was because you avoided going outside when growing up then yes, but when you reached adulthood you no longer were doing anything additional. Saying 'the screen did it' as most people do just causes needless alarm in adults. It's the children who need to be kicked outdoors.

It is very difficult to permanently damage your eyes short of the above or staring into the sun/a laser. There is also really nothing you can 'do' to prevent the effects of ageing, short of wearing sunglasses whenever outdoors to avoid UV exposure that leads to cataract formation.

I see what you are saying, lack of sunlight is a big factor, also the eyes just not used to focusing on longer distances.

Associate
It shouldnt matter but i will never get my eyes tested as specsavers ever again. Independent optometrist all the way.
Unless there's a difference in the amount of testing time that they allow and the quality of supplementary testing equipment, it won't make a great deal of difference where you get your eyes tested.

Soldato
No, they do not make your eyesight worse, they help relieve strain on your eye muscles, they still have to work but they wont constantly be straining to reach a goal they cant.

Associate
Started wearing glasses 9 years ago even though I’ve needed them since I was a kid. The 1st year I started wearing them my eyesight got nearly twice as bad, they put this down to my eye muscles relaxing as they didn’t have work as hard as they had been due to me not wearing glasses. Since then they have not changed.

Back
Top Bottom