Do I need all seasons?

Associate
Is be absolutely stunned if the cross climate is even as good as the UHP tyre in this situation let alone 10m better which seems out of the question.

If you can find some comparisons on this I would be interested to read/watch them.

I would just be concerned about the wobbly treadblocks in summer. The moves around a lot and doesn't inspire confidence when pushing on.

FWIW I've just bought a Golf that has had a 'brand new' (production date xx16) set of Goodyear somethingorother all weathers put on by the dealer and I was thinking of selling them and replacing them with winters, but that'd be a waste of money.

I'll keep the all weathers and buy a set of summer wheels/tyres to go with it. I doubt this car will be going to Alpine/Arctic territories in winter so I'm sure they'll be good enough for the winter months down here.

I think that's less an issue with the CrossClimates, compared with winter tyres, as they are based on summer tyres.

I'm certainly looking at a set of CC+ when I need replacements for my car as it's not performance oriented so should be good in our rainy climate. I would do it now but I've still got between 4mm and 6mm on my current set so it would be a waste of money.

Soldato
TBH they are a big compromise on both fronts and really expensive. Nowhere near as good in the snow as winter tyres and too soft to be good summer ones. I wouldn't want to use them all year round on something with performance.

Man of Honour
Actually that's not the case, it's more there are small compromises on both fronts. Almost as good as full winter tyres on snow and almost as good as summer tyres. In some instances depending in the brand if tyre they are better than the equivalent winter/summer tyres fitted.

Man of Honour
almost as good as summer tyres.

Which is the problem. 11 months of the year (often 12 depending on where you live), being almost as good as the best tyre for your needs doesn't cut it.

If this sort of weather was usual we wouldn't have had special programmes dedicated to it and a change in the TV schedules...

We're probably more lucky to hit flood water than snow in this country, does anyone carry an inflatable raft?

Man of Honour
Which is the problem. 11 months of the year (often 12 depending on where you live), being almost as good as the best tyre for your needs doesn't cut it.

That's not a problem for 99.9% of the driving population in this country who don't drive around on the road at 10/10ths or even a fraction of the level of dry or wet weather driving they use when testing tyres.

Pointless discussion really, most people don't buy the best tyre for their needs anyway.

Soldato
That's not a problem for 99.9% of the driving population in this country who don't drive around on the road at 10/10ths or even a fraction of the level of dry or wet weather driving they use when testing tyres.

Pointless discussion really, most people don't buy the best tyre for their needs anyway.
Incoming 'so only people who drive at 10/10ths end up in situations where they might need to emergency stop' post from Fox :p

Soldato
I’ve got a set of Continental CrossContacts on my Dodge Caliber. I bought them purely because they were incredibly cheap (£185 fitted for all 4) and I drive down a lot of dirt tracks most weekends so could use the extra grip.

They’re vastly better in the dry than the BF Goodrich summer tyres they replaced, seem excellent in wet and icy conditions, and show the biggest improvement on dirt roads.

The car has a SUV tyre size so I’m not even sure UHP tyres are available for it? I’d be very surprised if there’s any tyre I could get which would offer any noticeable improvement in grip.

Soldato

Stopping distances in the wet is one of the biggest differences between budget and good tyres. It's easy to make a tyre that grips in the dry, not so in the wet.

Soldato
OP
wow someone resurected my year old thread lol.

I plumped for crossclimates after a puncture late last year so have direct comparision between the eagle f1 i had on in the snow in december and the cc i have on in the snow now. No doubt in my mind the cc are loads better. My car was sailing past other cars on inclines that were getting stuck, and last year I'd have probably been joining them.

I also feel they perform better in the dry, although its not summer yet obviously.

Wont hestitate to buy again.

One comment though, they failed to get my car to drive up a muddy grass incline earlier this year. So bit disappointed with that.

Back
Top Bottom