Do internal Mech drives usually get discounted in Black Friday sales?

Associate
Need to get a new storage drive and see the average price still seems to be £20-£30 more expensive than it was 4 years ago (RAM seems to have come back down though).
Leaning towards a 4TB WD Blue internal drive, can anyone please tell me if they've noticed this type of drive in the BF sales with a decent discount the past couple of years?

Thanks

Associate
OP
Buy an external and shuck it.

8TB for £114
10TB for £145 if you look around.

Decent WD drives too.
Thanks for that and I see what you're saying but with my luck I'll destroy the case shucking it and then it'll go faulty so I'm screwed with the warranty.
I noticed the Seagate Ext drives are even cheaper but watching Youtube videos they're impossible to remove without destroying the case so a hard no.

Doesn't look like any discounts on the WD Blues so far so will just have to pay the premium.

The price difference from internal drives is ridiculous though, to pull a reason out of my backside it may be because they don't expect the external drives to be used for as many hours as internal so a bit less chance of manufacturing faults showing up (even with the extra heat from the passive cooling).
Though it depends on how much extra manufactures add to the price to take into account warranty replacements.

Cheers

Soldato
It’s really easy to shuck them.

Look at YouTube videos.

get a credit card and jiggle then undo each of the tabs. Cover slides off and then you just push the drive out and in-do two screws.

although you may have to do the 3.3V pin mod (I just use a sliver of electrical tape).

wouldnt do the Seagate ones as they are all SMR which is slow (mine certainly is).

Associate
OP
Damn you, I went and bought an External drive. :rolleyes::)
Thanks for the help, got a 6TB drive for the same price as the 4TB internal I was looking at.
Though I might just keep the new drive as is and shuck an old 4TB Toshiba Canvio ex drive I have.

I wish I wasn't such a data hoarder, have friends who find their 512GB SSD more than enough...weirdos.

Back
Top Bottom