Do people care about getting up to date Android security updates?

Associate
I bought a cheap Nokia 3 about 3 weeks ago, it is running a very stock Android Nougat. Since buying the phone I have had the Android August security update and 7.1.1 update pushed to my phone. This week Nokia pushed the September security update. It impresses me that Nokia are pushing out the latest monthly updates in the same month as they are released for a cheap low-end £90 phone. My Huawei P9 Lite is still running Nougat 7.0 with April 2017 security updates and their is no sign of any further updates.

As more people run their entire lives on their phone e.g. banking, finance, credit cards, investments, shopping, holidays, travel. Do other people think it is vital to keep phone updated?

Man of Honour
Timely security updates are important but so is the manner they are delivered in - they need to be both convenient as possible to apply but also not forced automatically and they need to be labelled appropriately - so many "critical security update!!!" that you "absolutely must install as soon as possible" are just minor feature tweaks and maybe a minor crash fix rather than some major vulnerability - it starts to become a bit of a joke.

Man of Honour
Absolutely, and my phone hasn't :(
Its a shame the Nokia phones aren't the spec I want ie massive battery is no1 priority.

Soldato
I care and it's one of the reasons why I like custom ROMs. When I was running stock on my G6 a week ago it was only on the July security patch.
I find it funny that some banking apps won't run on rooted phones because of "security" concerns even though it could be a custom ROM with the latest security patch, yet these banking apps will run on stock software even if they have a very outdated security patch :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Soldato
Huawei/Honor are pretty poor at Android updates, I've had an Honour 8 Pro since launch and I've maybe only had a couple of updates since then (currently on the 5th July security update). My Mum has a 6X, Honor said they'd be releasing a full update for it back in March, then April...then it all went quiet. Still no update.

Associate
As an android user I accept updates will be hit and miss.I'm not happy about it but I accept it.
My Samsung tablet purchased in 2015 did not get ANY os updates beyond 4.4.Fortunately there is an active mode scene so I'm now running 6.0 and 7.0 is available if I want it.
My Lenovo phone purchased this year is not officially even getting 7.0....I went down the rom route again.

There needs to be some guarantee from the manufacturers/networks that devices will get os and security updates for a minimum period of time.

Permabanned
How important are Android updates? I think very important. Interesting that it is mentioned as one of the items that Google thinks people also think is important as shown in their teaser video for the 4 October Pixel 2 (and other hardware) launch event:

https://youtu.be/etmUU1bs41s

Soldato
I care about new functionality and improvements, not so much security updates.
Same. I can always turn to custom roms if I need the latest security but I care more about functionality and bug fixes over security - I've never really had a comprised device ever on android as I tend to download apps that I REALLY need and most of them are well known ones.

Back
Top Bottom