Do people care about getting up to date Android security updates?

Man of Honour
same, when I bought it, next update was in testing. then they pulled it. Very disappointed. I hope Lenovo change their updates (they're moving to a stock android I believe so some hope) as I like their hardware.

However, I couldn't go back to a ~3000mah battery, which makes finding a phone with good updates hard.
Exactly the same here. If someone else makes a phone with the battery life of a P2 I would strongly consider it. Love this phone for that alone. I couldn't go back to a normal battery now.

Associate
OP
It is good to see that Microsoft support my Lumia 435 phone launched in January 2015 that is now running on a dead platform getting the latest October 2017 monthly security update today.

lumia435.jpg

Man of Honour
im not sure how google can solve it without having a semi-locked design like MS, but is its something they need to work on.
Imo as well as the money its one of the main reasons things are developed on IOS first, Android is so fragmented.

Soldato
im not sure how google can solve it without having a semi-locked design like MS, but is its something they need to work on.
Imo as well as the money its one of the main reasons things are developed on IOS first, Android is so fragmented.

Project Treble looks to make strides in fixing this problem by making the OS, skins, security updates etc all Modular.

The article below is a good read and theres a lot of development that went in Oreo.

https://arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/2017/09/android-8-oreo-review/

Permabanned
Enthusiasts care, the average consumer does not.

Most users are scared when they see the dreaded update message for fear of losing their data, sad but true.

Last edited:
Soldato
I just found out that Motorola/Lenovo have EOL'd security updates for the MotoG3 (that I bought eighteen months ago). Last patch was for April. Well I guess I'll have to root it and put Android 7 on it, and never buy another Lenovo product again.

Associate
no

a samsung s8 on the latest btu august patch already has most of the fixes from a pixel october patch.

it'a the illusion of a software upgrade to appease google/nexus and pixel fangirls

Soldato
MY Honor 8 was last updated to August security in September, not great but much better than my Mrs Axon 7 mini which hasn't had an update since November 2016, ZTE are shocking, never replay to questions about this and would never buy one again.

Associate
Sony get overlooked with regards to this

I've had my Xperia XZ since launch and without fail have had all security patches within a reasonable amount of time

This.

My wife's had an (unlocked) Xperia X Compact for about 3 months and it's been updated regularly. Colour me impressed, especially since the X Compact isn't midrange. It's had more updates in that time than my (unlocked) HTC 10 has in the 16 months or so I've had that.

While I'm not the biggest fan of the Sony look, I'll certainly consider them (and probably Nokia based on this thread) when it comes to upgrade time next year....

Associate
This.

My wife's had an (unlocked) Xperia X Compact for about 3 months and it's been updated regularly. Colour me impressed, especially since the X Compact isn't midrange. It's had more updates in that time than my (unlocked) HTC 10 has in the 16 months or so I've had that.

While I'm not the biggest fan of the Sony look, I'll certainly consider them (and probably Nokia based on this thread) when it comes to upgrade time next year....

Got a couple of X compacts for my parents, they're nice little phones and will be getting Android 8.0 at some point too

Sony get a lot of unfair criticism IMO, I'm a heavy user of my year old XZ and the UI is still running smoothly and it's getting the monthly security updates, there's not many android phones that can say the same

Associate
Nearly November and my G6 is STILL on July security patch for stock ROMs. I like my phone but LG are utterly woeful with updates.

In the Asian Market some of the G6's are now on the September patch, tbh as i mentioned before i not to bothered about security patches.
I will be bothered if it doesn't get the Oreo update pronto which is rumoured sometime in November.

Back
Top Bottom