Do PHEVs charge whilst driving?

Soldato
Soldato
I can switch the X5 to make sure it retains a certain level of battery power. So say its depleted I can tell it to charge the battery up.. But wow it takes some hit to the MPG. Drops by at least 10mpg. Better to put it in ECO mode and let it charge whilst braking and coasting

Soldato
Im reading in AMOnline that the e-corsa has had a price decrease of £3000 today due to the change in the PiCG. So, should be similar cost as to what you were quoted before.

Caporegime
it's relative V
https://cleantechnica.com/2021/11/3...rope-were-fully-electric-vehicles-in-october/
https://www.fleetalliance.co.uk/news/phev-sales-fall-30-following-government-u-turn-on-funding/

up - but single digit ... following earlier 6 months.

lunchtime walk - saw a new 71 passat grey gte , replacing older gte they'd had .. wondering if there are some good deals, but, golf GTE has had amongst better residuals

But still 8% while ICE cars dropped what, 20%?

Point is PHEV market is still growing, albeit not as much as BEVS, and almost every manufacturer has one of more PHEVS in their range at the moment. Its easy for them to do and uses up their ICE engines.

Soldato
nissans rex next year https://www.motor.es/noticias/nissan-qashqai-e-power-fotos-espia-202183021.html
Nissan notes that e-Power technology is the ideal transition between internal combustion engine vehicles and 100% electric . The powertrain of the new Qashqai e-Power consists of a 154 hp gasoline engine, a power generator, an inverter and a 140 kW (190 hp) electric motor. However, the gasoline engine is used only as a generator of electricity. That is, the wheels are powered exclusively by the electric motor.

hope it's not like note e-power - just 1.5kwh battery, so home charging meaningless
https://www.roadandtrack.com/review...e-power-nismo-s-is-the-future-of-hot-hatches/

Caporegime
I can switch the X5 to make sure it retains a certain level of battery power. So say its depleted I can tell it to charge the battery up.. But wow it takes some hit to the MPG. Drops by at least 10mpg. Better to put it in ECO mode and let it charge whilst braking and coasting

You can't do that with the X1 Xdrive25e, no "charge" mode, only Max eDrive, Auto Hybrid and Battery Hold. The wife's 2018 Passat GTE has a charge mode however.

Soldato

I just don’t see this style of PHEV as being something worth investing in anymore. 5 years ago maybe but I just can’t see these vehicles being successful anymore.

Others have been there, got the T-shirt and ditched it. By the time you put a big enough battery in the car to give it a meaningful electric range and power output, and then put in a big enough petrol engine to power said car once it runs out of battery, you might as well have just gone full BEV.

The two of the three companies that took this approach have already ditched it (BMW and GM) and the third is a commercial vehicle that businesses are forced to buy to continue to operate (London Taxi).

Soldato
yes - as I said I think, even phev's are eol, versus bev .

Maybe there is an ulterior motive by nissan - continuing use of engine production - how compact & light is a 1.5 petrol engine just generating power versus, much more battery volume. (if they haven't got lft technology, or eu import contents taxes will kill them) ,
legislation in the usa I believe cap the engine(e:tank) capacity so rex have a limited range on just fuel (which may explain the xdrive25e charging behaviour) so that the battery is not just a decoration, and the tax reduction is justified, which may play in, too.

Last edited:
Soldato
You can't do that with the X1 Xdrive25e, no "charge" mode, only Max eDrive, Auto Hybrid and Battery Hold. The wife's 2018 Passat GTE has a charge mode however.

Battery hold mode is what has been described. It will hold the set battery level and if you're below then it charges it up.

Caporegime
Battery hold mode is what has been described. It will hold the set battery level and if you're below then it charges it up.

I assumed battery hold held the battery at the current SoC. That's how it works in the VAG PHEVs.

I.e set off with 90% SoC, place car in battery hold, it won't use any battery at all, only engine power and alternator electricity. Leaving you with 90% battery for whenever you want to switch back to either pure electric mode, or auto-hybrid.

Battery charge mode (in the Passat) would charge the battery whilst driving, beyond whatever the SoC was when engaging the mode. In theory it could take the car from 0-100% SoC if the journey was sufficiently long.

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom