1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do power supplies degrade?

Discussion in 'Power Supplies' started by chickadee, May 14, 2018.

1. chickadee

Gangster

So im thinking of building a ryzen system to replace my aging X58 build, I have a Corsair HX750 that i bought in 2010, my question is could i use this power supply? It seems perfect, no fan rattle, no hiccups.....i dont know if they degrade though, a good power supply is a £100 and thats a big chunk of my system budget, i could get a much better CPU for that £100 so if i can use this i will but i dont want to risk any problems.

2. Rroff

Man of Honour

Yes - depending on the quality of the capacitors (and to a lesser extent inductors, etc.) used - some will stand up for many many years others after a few years will have a definite decline in the max stable power they can deliver.

3. Armageus

Don

£100 for 8 years use is still surely good value - whilst it seems like unnecessary expense, it would be a shame if it did fail and cause damage to your new hardware.

4. Rroff

Man of Honour

That HX750 looks like is probably made by Channel Well - you'd definitely want to think about replacing it once it gets to around 10 years old.

5. Ace Modder

Antec Rep

That's wrong advise, in terms of the OEM.

The HX range in 2010 was made by Seasonic and were very good units.
    In 2012/2013 Corsair switched to CWT on a number of model ranges, including the HX range.

I think the reason was to enable better profit levels in Corsair. The CWT range isn't rubbish, but it isn't regarded as good as the Seasonic made version.

6. Rroff

Man of Honour

I might be wrong but I'm 99% sure all the HX750 units that were sold in the UK in 2010 were CWT.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  7. Scrumpy_Jack

Gangster

Hardware Secrets did a review of the 750 version in 2010 and said it was CWT unit and mentions other units in the range were made by seasonic.

https://www.hardwaresecrets.com/corsair-hx750w-power-supply-review/

Regardless who made the unit mine hasn't missed a beat for 8 years and has only recently been relegated to my second machine having been replaced by an Evga 750 p2 which will hopefully do me good for 10 years.

8. Habakkuk

Hitman

I thought Seasonic made the AX860, and CTW made the AX860i?

9. Rroff

Man of Honour

There is all kinds of variation in the line up often without a model name change, etc. in some cases even small quantities in some regions were made by a different OEM to others, etc. All I know is I've not seen a HX750 in the UK so far made by Seasonic.

Regardless the capacitors in these things tend to be rated for 2000-10000 hours at 85-105C with around a doubling of lifespan for every 10C cooler they are operating at plus some normal degree of evaporation of the electrolyte over time or similar degradation depending on type - at normal operating temperatures and patterns in a PSU after around 10 years you will start to get degraded performance under load to some degree or another and the changes to ESR can destabilise things like regulators so if you really care about it that is about when you should start thinking about replacing a PSU.

10. t31os

Mobster

11. Phil2008

Soldato

My HX620watt didnt die but if the power failed my pc wouldn't turn on for a few hrs after the power had been restored again. Changed it for a AX750 and everythings fine once again.