Do the US have a foster care style system?

Associate
I finish uni at the end of the year, and me and the missus are thinkin about up'in sticks and movin to the states (Texas) depending if i get a job. It still in plannin stages at the mo :p

The only thing is one of her ambitions is to become a foster carer, obviously thats fine over here but what about the states? what type of system do they have? if they have one... do you have to be a us citizen etc?

Anyone got any links or info that could be useful

cheers
Tour

Soldato
As far as I'm aware if you have the VISA then it doesn't matter if she's not a US citizen. If she has a degree from a British University then she's laughing.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
You talking about Day Care? Where you drop your child off for the day and go about your business/work/life?

If so then yes we do have one. In fact my mother was a day care provider a long time ago. The standards my mom had to keep to were pretty high but I thought the care was excellent.

Man of Honour
Soldato
Stiff_Cookie said:
You talking about Day Care? Where you drop your child off for the day and go about your business/work/life?

If so then yes we do have one. In fact my mother was a day care provider a long time ago. The standards my mom had to keep to were pretty high but I thought the care was excellent.
No, he's talking about becoming a foster parent. Yes, we do have foster families in the 'States. You'll have to apply and pass a load of background checks to make sure you're not creepy. Having a degree will help to no end but being a recent immigrant will not becasue it limits their ability to gather background information.

Hitman
Permabanned
Foster care is for children who cannot be with their parents due to problems such as abuse, alcoholism, depression etc. Basically any child who is taken away by social services will be put into foster care. It can be for any length of time, from a couple of nights to several years. In some cases children can be with the same foster family for most of their childhood.

Associate
Don't know how far along you are with your plans for coming over here, but I found the forums on this site really useful.

I moved with my wife about a year ago, so if you want any help our advise, feel free to get in touch.

Best of luck.

Associate
OP
Cheers for the link Baron ill have a look at it.

Originally Posted by Stiff_Cookie

No its a bit more than that, like Bracco said. How long u been livin in Texas? you like it there?

Originally Posted by BillytheImpaler
No, he's talking about becoming a foster parent. Yes, we do have foster families in the 'States. You'll have to apply and pass a load of background checks to make sure you're not creepy. Having a degree will help to no end but being a recent immigrant will not becasue it limits their ability to gather background information.

Cool, thats ok its not a thing we want to do straight away. So they still are called foster carers over there :p take it the rules vary from state to state.

Back
Top Bottom