Poll: Do you actually own your car?

Do you actually own your car?

• Total voters
OcUK Staff
I think that's why the poll isn't correct as people genuinely think they own their car. The replies in this thread do not tally with the poll.

Well the car is either totally paid for using your own money, not a loan, credit card or finance or it is not.
I own all my cars outright, apart from the SVR which has finance with a balloon attached to it, I paid 80k for it, over 40k in cash my side, around mid 30's owing which shall be paid of very soon, at which point that is owned as its from cash in my bank account, so my own money. Not credit card as I doubt a finance company would take a credit card as payment, they tend to only accept debit cards from when I've paid loans/finance off previously.

Soldato
I think that's why the poll isn't correct as people genuinely think they own their car. The replies in this thread do not tally with the poll.

If you take a loan to pay for the car then it is still owned outright by yourself, but most cars are finance via PCP. I guess people would rather spend less money on a better car because the per month cost is lower using pcp/lease.

Caporegime
2010 Fiat Panda. 65,000. Change wiper sets annually, one flat tyre & service items as required.
Owned 20+ motors over 50 years. Some good. Some terrible. A couple dangerous. Last one on the never-never a Bond Equipe 2litre GT. (Plastic body on Triumph Vitesse).

Does this mean "yes"? :p

Caporegime
Meh. Ragging a new car for a couple of years without servicing it isn't going to do much damage in the grand scheme of things. As long as it at least has enough oil in it, and is allowed to warm up before bashing the limiter. :p

Caporegime
Its a requirement of most leases/pcp to have the car serviced properly.

the problem being a lot of "standard" service plans aren't servicing the car properly.

and if it's a deal taken out with arnold clark their "service" doesn't actually replace fluids but just tops them up. so the oil turns to gunk.

also people who will be buying diesels and using them for 5 mile trips daily with no commutes longer than 20 mins, etc.

i'd rather buy a car from someone who has owned it and knows how it should be serviced rather than just follow what the manufacturer states, etc.

Caporegime
i'd rather buy a car from someone who has owned it and knows how it should be serviced rather than just follow what the manufacturer states, etc.

What? People who buy cars outright in cash know more than the OEM? And people who get on finance don’t service it properly ?

What have you been smoking?

Caporegime
What? People who buy cars outright in cash know more than the OEM? And people who get on finance don’t service it properly ?

What have you been smoking?

it's a common theme that people who buy stuff treat it with more care than those who "rent" it

also OEM don't care about the car lasting longer than the warranty. once warranty is done they can then reap in cash from failures.

warranty is like 2-5 years max. after that they don't care.

those that do offer extended warranty have the caveat that it must be serviced by them a minimum of once per year regardless of mileage. whereas otherwise it wouldn't be serviced for several years on a low mileage car going off info provided by OEM.

average mileage of say 8K per service my car would be serviced once every 8 years. does that sound right?

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Paid £6k cash for my Type-S almost 6 years ago now. It's on 152k.

It's running well but outgrowing it now. I run to work and o/h does local journeys while on maternity leave but would love something bigger and more refined for our frequent weekend trips out walking and camping etc. Sadly I have zero capital for another car and it's worth about £500 now so any newer car will be fully or part financed however I'm leaning towards a similar aged larger car on the cheap that has potential and just bring it up to par myself. I love cars but there's bigger issues in life, despite living rurally making car ownership essential with the lifestyle we have.

Back
Top Bottom