Poll: Do you actually own your car?

Do you actually own your car?

• Total voters
Soldato
crz was a hybrid iirc so ahead of it's time

my car is from 2003 so it doesn't have this. so based on the OEM service schedule. i would probably need to service it now once every 15 years. as it seems to be on a 15K mile service interval (it's a BMW).

I see, so you don’t buy two years old cars anyway?

The trip computer is exactly the same as any other honda with the intelligent service system, the hybrid is is relevant to it.

Associate
Does this mean "yes"? :p
Oh yes. Absolutely, totally 100% owned. Not credit. Not PCP. Not 'other peoples money'. Just my dosh.
It may not be on some wierdo-tricksy financial plan, but it is mine.
Just like my own home.

If it ain't paid-for, it ain't yours.

I know- I'm old fashioned but I don't have a problem with keeping my life tidy. There's nowt in the attic. My grave is paid-for. My son wants all my tools. My daughter wants all my Greek and ancestry stuff. Nobody will want my PC. I have holidays when I want and never worry about my Panda. It's wonderfully inexpensive! Even on my state pension, life is affordable. Just.
So I'm happy to not give money to other people so that I can run a more expensive lifestyle.
This may be a small rant and not especially coherent. It's my birthday and the rum is having a perfectly :p effect.

Anybody noticed--- 2019 seems to be flying by :eek:

Peace to all here.

Caporegime
crz was a hybrid iirc so ahead of it's time

my car is from 2003 so it doesn't have this. so based on the OEM service schedule. i would probably need to service it now once every 15 years. as it seems to be on a 15K mile service interval (it's a BMW).
Don’t you find it ironic that you are the one who doesn’t know the service interval for your car ? Honda will be fixed on mileage or time. Read the manual.

A new car will be telling the driver when to go in for service

Man of Honour
Fully maintained lease cars are arguably a very good buy. Why would you not have work done on time and as needed if someone else is paying.

Virtually no personal leases will be on a fully maintained basis to be fair. It's very poor value for non fleet users.

Soldato
In answer to the thread, 85.7% of our cars are owned:

Owned cars:
- Nissan Murano LPG Monster, 350z Orangensaft, Honda Insight, Honda SMX Tsunami Wagon, Integra DC2, Cortina Mk3.

Not:
X5 m50d.

Caporegime
Don’t you find it ironic that you are the one who doesn’t know the service interval for your car ? Honda will be fixed on mileage or time. Read the manual.

A new car will be telling the driver when to go in for service

I service mine every year regardless of the fact it only does 1k miles per year

Soldato
Good effort, shame to see you dismiss the F-PACE but could understand why.

Aye, it was a weird one as we were set on it, and I thought driving the V6s would sway us back. But after the X5 and Cayenne the F-Pace just felt cheap inside, even after sitting in all the different ones in the dealership up here just one last time.

Got a solid deal on the X5 so we're happy.

Oh and we did sit in some Velars and RRS, with both being a nice step up from the F-Pace. But they are a bit rich for one with a pokey engine and all the options :D

Soldato
Actually these days they are far far more sophisticated than that, building in all kinds of factors, which may include:

- time
- mileage
- no. of cold starts
- no. of frequent short trips
- amount of stop-go driving.

The algorithms that go into these are pretty complex.
Even older cards were more sophisticated than time only. A simple method was based on fuel usage, so a car driven harder would need servicing more quickly as shown by the indicator in the car, not the time/milage still sometimes shown in service manuals. Remember reading this in the manual for an old 80's BMW I think - servicing was after a set amount of fuel had been used, or, of course if the time limit had been reached.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom