1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you agree with Gyms charging people that don't turn up

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by terley, Mar 19, 2017.

1. G-MAN2004

Caporegime

If people are too lazy to actually use the facilities they've signed a contract for, then that's their fault.

2. fez

Capodecina

People are too lazy to exercise, people are too lazy to even cancel the membership they are not using and they are conditioned to blame someone else for both these things.

3. Begbie

Capodecina

No, you don't need a gym to stay fit.

People are the problem, they should either cancel or go use it.

4. redrabbit29

Gangster

I demanded a refund or compensation from my gym.

I've been a member there now for 8 months and have not got any fitter. In fact I've gained about 7kg.

They refused my demands saying something ridiculous like I had to actually attend and do exercise. The whole things a con if you ask me

5. terley

Hitman

An interesting point i made at my previouis Gym, why do all gyms insist on open changing rooms and showers?

It's 2017, not 1970.. It is weird to be showering with other naked men in today's day and age.. Not a PC thing, rather a cultural change.. Why can't they just make solid cubicles? Most people i know end up having to go home after the Gym to shower to then go to work, which subsequently forces them to go in peak hours as it creates too much of a morning..

6. Feek

Don

They don't. The two I go to have individual showers and changing areas.

You are very misinformed about gyms.

First you say that most of them are council run. They're not.
    Now you say that they all insist on open changing rooms and showers. They don't.

7. Mynight

Mobster

Why is it weird to shower with other men? It's not like you're all helping each other wash is it :D.

8. terley

Hitman

How am i misinformed?

Man give me a break.. I've lived in 4 major cities, im pushing 30 and have been to plenty of gyms throughout my life.. you can't just assume that somebody has no idea what they are talking about because it doesn't conform to what you have experienced.. If you don't share the same experiences then whatever, it doesn't change mine..

I ended up in a changing room once, with my old headteacher walking past, with his manhood happily swinging as he tried to talk to me when getting changed.. That **** just isn't right man. Times change :p

9. Mynight

Mobster

:D maintain eye contact and you'll be fine.

Must admit I found it weird in Germany when male and females shared the sauna but got used to it pretty quickly.

10. Rich1988

Soldato

communal showers are a step too far but communal changing rooms don't bother me, doesn't take more than a few seconds to put boxers on etc

11. Rroff

Caporegime

Sadly I see stuff along those lines said on facebook completely seriously quite often :(

12. Diddums

Capodecina

If Facebook has taught me anything, it's that I really do share my oxygen with a bunch of retards.

13. The_Abyss

Soldato

Correct. The incentivisation was the stimulus to make them join in the first place. I'm sure most have a mailing list that will tell you how amazing you can be if you continue to go to the gym. As do the inordinate number of fitness apps they'll subsequently download.

But if they don't turn up then it isn't a problem to solve.

No, a service they're choosing not to use.

Correct.

Existing regular users of gyms would be frustrated at having to pay higher fees to employ all your new customer retention agents who would end up making calls, 90% of which would result in cancellations.

14. terley

Hitman

We are assuming that Gyms are only just viable in terms of profitability, and the prices are in any way justified. I would like to hear from somebody who runs or has knowledge on the rates & costs of running a gym and how profitable the business is before i can agree that implementing such strategies would force the burden of cost on loyal members.

15. The_Abyss

Soldato

Why don't you set up your own gym and buck the trend to find out?

16. Jones

Gangster

This isn't about people having different experiences and that's not why we think you don't know what you're talking about. We know you don't know what you're taking about because you said, "And most Gyms are owned by the local council" and "why do all gyms insist on open changing rooms and showers?". You were completely wrong on both of these, this is why you're misinformed.

17. Vonhelmet

Caporegime

Lots of businesses work on the basis of being oversubscribed. You provide enough supply at a given cost to meet demand 99% of the time.

18. Tefal

Capo Crimine

How on earth did you reach that conclusion!?

19. A2Z

Sgarrista

Link?

20. Nexus

Capodecina

I think it's all part of the business model and once they have you, I believe they profile you based on how much you attend, or don't attend. For example....

My brother and I both signed up to our local Fitness First which was a basic level club. When they went into administration a few years back it was closed down, they said our contracts would either terminate, or they could offer us equivalent membership at another gym. The nearest basic (blue) club was further away than I liked, so they said they could offer us membership at a much closer black club, but with a slight price increase.

My brother goes to the gym a lot, sometimes twice a day; Fitness First were sending him lots of e-mails to say how he was within the top percentage of members at the club for attendance and usage of the gym. I on the other hand had to go and work abroad for an extended period of time so didn't go at all and really should have cancelled my membership or put it on hold or something.

My brother eventually gets informed by Fitness First that they need to put the price of his membership in order to continue. I on the other hand don't get hit with a price increase or much in the way of e-mails and communication.

So effectively they are targeting those who go very often, because they know they will stump up if they put the price up. On the other hand, with people who don't go that often, they almost want to make them forget they are paying for it; not to mention, if you weren't going and they suddenly wanted to put the price up, most would probably cancel.