1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you believe in god or a divine entity?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Gabbatek, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Gabbatek

Wise Guy

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  2. Minstadave

Capodecina

No - seen too many children die to believe there's any higher being/greater purpose.

3. Rroff

Man of Honour

Personally I'm inclined towards a spiritual perspective. For various reasons I've had quite a bit to do with religion from a perspective that many won't have had and am utterly convinced that whether or not there is anything to any of the major religions they have been without exception perverted by the agendas of man from any original truth there may or may not have been.

I tend to subscribe somewhat to the view that we are on balance of probability possibly not residing in "base" reality and even if there actually happens to be an entity along the lines of those gods or god a good chance that they don't reside in "base" reality either (think inception style) but we know so little I don't think anything other than an open mind is a good way to go on this kind of topic.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  4. wedrum

Mobster

i have no idea.
    could be..

A. there is a god.
    B. pure accident we are here.
    C. were just part of a simulation.

5. eldergeek

Gangster

Organised religion is scummy and self interested - if a god in the traditional sense existed, he should have levelled every church, mosque and synagogue centuries ago.

I do, however believe that faith is something different entirely.

6. scorza

Caporegime

7. SHEDDER1uk

Wise Guy

No

8. stewski

Mobster

I don't believe in a god for the same reason I don't believe in faeries, there is no credible evidence of either. Should credible evidence become apparent, my position would change.
    My understanding is, that position is fairly mainstream for Atheism.

As implied though, bone cancer in children, a creator made/wanted that?

9. D.P.

Caporegime

Until there is evidence, nope.

10. koolpc

Capodecina

100% Believe in God. Even with personal tragedies and worldly sufferings going on. Yes! God is real and i love God immensely.

To be honest, this is an atheist forum so you won't get many God loving people on here!

11. hornetstinger

Soldato

Nope. Made up by those who desire to control people.

12. Screeeech

Mobster

I went through all of this when I was about 8 years old, and quickly decided it was a firm "no" further to that, as I've progressed through life, I'm actually glad that it's almost certain that no such thing exists.

13. ivrytwr3

Mobster

14. Dis86

Capodecina

Could it not be malevolent?

Also Divine, not Devine OP.

15. snips86x

Capodecina

Agreed!

I was bought up in a Christian family and believed for the majority of my childhood and teens. However, after loosing my mother and my daughter, it really made me think about me "faith".

Since there's no explanation for the above, I kind of left it behind and came to the conclusion, it's a load of ****!

16. danlightbulb

Wise Guy

A higher power that has the ability to somehow control or have influence over our physical lives - no.

Something else - existing somehow in an alternate dimension of some kind perhaps out of phase with our own reality. Maybe.

Something we can reach somehow after we die, our 'souls' living on. No.

Although I don't believe an afterlife exists I really hope I am wrong.

17. Glaucus

Man of Honour

[​IMG]

personal faith is fine, religion around the world though needs to be challenged, as they affect and try to affect others. until that stops We need a legal battlefield where they keep losing.

far to many want or already have laws protecting religion, gays, abortion and a 10001 other laws which affects others.

I wish skeptics/atheists groups in the uk were bigger and more like USA, where they are growing substantially.

unfortuntley even in the uk, religion have the upper hand on money and as such are better positioned for such legal battles. if anyone brings them court in the first place.

and as you can imagine no I have no faith. despite being brought up by a religious mum.

18. chroniclard

Capodecina

No. Cant really understand seemingly intelligent people who do either. We are just animals, there is no higher purpose.

19. danlightbulb

Wise Guy

Not sure what you mean by this. What legal battles need to be fought against religious groups? No court will prove or disprove God doesn't exist it's a meaningless battle isn't it?

20. Glaucus

Man of Honour

that's not what I mean at all, not sure how you came to that. seeing as I gave examples on how religious people try to interfere with everyone else's life. its far worse in America but even in the uk, there are a lot of religious based laws.
    easier to see in America, with abortion, gay rights etc. slightly less obvious in uk law system.

Blasphemy was only abolished in 2008 in the uk.