• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Do you care for Ray Tracing "now"?

Do you care for ray tracing "now"?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Maybe a not yet? By that I mean that I do care for Ray tracing, but I wouldn't necessarily base a purchasing decision on it yet. I think it probably has a little more maturing to do.

Caporegime
OP
Maybe a not yet? By that I mean that I do care for Ray tracing, but I wouldn't necessarily base a purchasing decision on it yet. I think it probably has a little more maturing to do.
Yes I think that makes sense and probably an option most people would pick.
Was considering that but kind of want to keep the thread for just the here and now as ultimately every game at some point will become RT only.

Associate
Fair enough. I'd go with yes, because when it works it is pretty spectacular. Just needs to become a little more widespread, and more completely baked in to games which do use it.

Soldato
The poll needs to be more specific. Everyone should care for Ray Tracing.

As for do I care about Ray Tracing now? It's a yes for me. It's amazing to be able to play games with Real Time Ray Tracing, something that I didn't think would happen for ages.

It's just the start, that we actually have any form of real time ray tracing in games is fantastic. And now the consoles have it. It's only a matter of time until it's the norm and I am really excited for what the future will bring.

I don't get why people are so negative about it or are calling it a gimmick. I hope that's just because of their GPU brand preference and the endless point scoring that goes on in this section of the forum and not how they really feel about Ray Tracing.

Caporegime
If the only option is yes or no, the current answer would be no.

However, if the poll had more options, my answer might be different as at some point performance will improve enough so that you don't have to use image reconstruction to get reasonable FPS.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Easily a yes. More and more titles are coming out with it and hopefully next gen cards will have a lot more oomph. We will suddenly have a lot more people caring then I would imagine :cry:

Associate
When you see what’s it’s capable of then the answer is yes. As long as it’s the full implementation not just shadows or something to limit the hit on cards. The big one for me was control with the glass in the offices it was a massive difference.

Caporegime
OP
Ok, so then perhaps these options? Along with a title change to "do you care for ray tracing now?"

- Yes
- No
- Not yet but in the future
- Never will care for it

Soldato
People talk about "liking" raytracing far too much.

It's a graphics setting which can, if well implemented, look good. It comes with a godawful performance hit which is the primary dealbreaker.

What's there to like or not like beyond the bleeding obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom