• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Do you care for Ray Tracing "now"?

Do you care for ray tracing "now"?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
OP
You say several other people, but really only one YouTube channel showed some examples (outside of DF and the UE5 alpha demo).

There's also no context provided, no information on settings used on each system and steps to reproduce. Also he was capturing videos using external hardware, there's so many variables there. Everything is vague with no substance, which is always a red flag.

You can be sure that Digital Foundry would be all over it if this was a genuine issue in games I can promise you that. :cry:
Well there were/are several people saying about it in bang4bucks comments and on that big reddit thread then factor in the same showing on other peoples youtube footage too. I do agree though, there are a lot of factors but generally when you get that many people all showing the exact same issue, it does look like something isn't quite right.

I also just remembered you benched the 3090, 6800 and 6900xt, had a quick look and looks like you were suffering the same issue too:

hcdYfZP.png

5uL7LGo.png

However, your latest run with the 6900xt:

CBvDj00.png

So seems it was a game(s) or/and amd thing.

Soldato
Soldato
YouTube said:

Garry Arganis

1 hour ago
well, there 4-5 titles that RT is day and night difference, other than these 4-5 games, its pretty "meh to underwhelming". all games i've played so far, i turn it on , i try to spot the difference in reflections, water, etc. and then i turn it off, because you sacrifice 50 % of your FPS for an improvement that, in real gameplay you will hardly spot if at all, when you play a game you dont stop to look at the reflections on water, windows, mirrors, you are focused on playing the game, at least thats what i do, and even if a game looks good with RT on without you having to focus to tell the difference, if its a new AAA game you are going to have 50 fps and thats only if you have a 3080 or higher, i have a 5800x and 3080, and i still struggle with some games and mind you im always mess around with settings, to see if and what is the difference in image quality between max graphics settings and the one bellow it, so most of the times i dont use max graphics settings because there is no real difference, and still struggle with AAA modern games, imagine turning on RT... DLSS is godsend RT not really, no. i use a 2k monitor, 4k is not worth having unless its a larger than 32 inch, because in a blind test, if you have 2 27 inch monitors one 2k and one 4k and you ask them "can you spot the difference and what is it?" i bet most people wont even know one of these 2 monitors is 4k if you dont tell them.

Associate
Fair points well made. But I stand by the fact it needs to develop a little further yet as it is quite a performance hog without dlss/fsr etc.

Ray tracing now is good, not essential. I think upscaling is arguably just as, if not more important, but that's another debate.
DLSS is great. RT, not so much.

Pretty but pretty pointless when I'm playing PUBG.

Associate
For me RT is very low in the list of features a game should have. TBH i am more interested in better antialiasing than RT, bad aliasing is a lot more annoying than anything else. Plus a lot of the RT games are ... not so great when it comes to story/gameplay. I won't buy a game just because it looks better or more "realistic", not to mention that 90% of that game has nothing to do with realism.

Maybe when RT will become mainstream and the devs will focus more on story and gameplay, RT will be more interesting. And maybe they'll fix the damn reflections where you can't see yourself in the mirror. :)

Caporegime
OP
4K max settings, all RT on, 6800 XT. (ignore the overlay)

Another one debunked. :p

I wish I had realised it was the first cut scene. I skipped it and carried on playing the game for another 30 minutes.

And this game is absolutely terrible. :cry: :(
Fair :cry:

So looks like it has been potentially fixed by either a game or/and amd driver update then? At least looking at your FC 6 comparisons over time.

Yeah it's not the best tbf, something a bit different to the usual crap put out nowadays though :p

Soldato
I think it will seem quite relevant when the performance hit is small, e.g. 5-10 fps. It can hit CPUs pretty hard too.

This could happen with RDNA3 / Ampere Next cards coming later this year, which I think will try to double ray tracing performance.

Associate
Football Manager 2022 by any chance?
I allready had 2021 free from Epic my oldest child wanted to play a two player game I did warn him what would happen

think before this I stopped playing on 2010-12 the game took a massive nosedive into microc managing forgot the exact year

Soldato
I think it will seem quite relevant when the performance hit is small, e.g. 5-10 fps. It can hit CPUs pretty hard too.

I disagree: RT will become more relevant when the performance hit does not reduce the framerate below a critical value. That critical value will be different for different games and devices. For example consoles might have a critical value of 30 fps whereas VR will have 90 fps and PC FPS gamers might want 120 or 144 fps.

Soldato
I disagree: RT will become more relevant when the performance hit does not reduce the framerate below a critical value. That critical value will be different for different games and devices. For example consoles might have a critical value of 30 fps whereas VR will have 90 fps and PC FPS gamers might want 120 or 144 fps.

The same thing happened with FSAA - it took 10 years.

Caporegime
The same thing happened with FSAA - it took 10 years.

Even a bit longer than that to get to a point where it was basically free of a performance hit, though super sampling can still steal a fair few fps.

I still remember someone on here trying to claim the performance hit from fsaa was gone after about 2 years and ray tracing would be the same. Think it was the 4k8k loon. :rolleyes:

Caporegime
OP
Well technically we have seen that if done right and from the ground up, RT can in fact perform better e.g. metro ee.

Avatar is due this year and RT only so it will show how perf. is. I'm expecting good things given it is by massive on the snowdrop engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom