• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Do you care for Ray Tracing "now"?

Do you care for ray tracing "now"?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Permabanned
^^

Exactly.

It has been in development behind closed doors way back before ray tracing was even in our sights.

Wonder why they switched to ray tracing only..... Nvidia sponsored? Time saver? Help make it a visual master piece given the Gameworld? All of them?

After years of development, Ubisoft realised that blue vikings just wouldn't cut it :D

Soldato
This is why I care about RT.

This level of visual fidelty is simply not possible without it..

52079783151_75c5243178_o.jpg

52078789632_d6bbd91d30_o.jpg

52080013889_c8f76ac717_o.jpg

52078743487_ce9be9b5ae_o.jpg

52078742977_e31f8e7a51_o.jpg

52079788373_844aa80afe_o.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
I agree, I'm not looking for photo realism. I just enjoy the more cohesive scene, greater depth provided by RT, where as before I'd describe titles as having a cardboard cutout appearance. Indeed I think we will be running into problems with photo realism and the effect it may have on people left thinking they are shooting a real gun at a real person.

Yeah. Well, I guess the problem is going to be less in fantasy, sci-fi and historical games but probably still relevant. Overly realistic crashes in racers and rallies won't necessarily be a wonderful experience either. Agree on cardboard appearance. There are still some things games find difficult to do properly. There are still polygons, there are still flat surfaces that should be more three-dimensional, and there are three-dimensional surfaces that should be flatter. Foliage on walls is one of the typical problems. Zooms on foliage too. You can't really avoid pixellation or some other obvious artificiality without employing humongous amount of power… and what's ironic is that at the end of the road lies invisibility — the thing just looks like a film, not a game. And at that point we're likely to begin to miss the distinct game-like appearance. Also makes me think about how Mass Effect 1 used a grain filter to produce a film-like effect, so that it felt like watching a film but without needing as much power as a non-grainy version (emulating a clean rather than grainy tape) would have required. I think you could use a similar filter in some of the Witcher games, but I didn't like that in a fantasy/quasi-mediaeval setting.

I'm sure it was Shadow of War that was getting great praise for it's graphics within the gaming forum here, which I got called out for as I described it as flat with cardboard cutouts. Playing a game such as CP2077 or DL2 I find I have a much better sense of depth.

I can appreciate the differences best when going up in the same series, e.g. TW1=>2=>3, DA1=>2=>3, ME1=>2=>3, and so on. But to tell you something, as much as I love the photo realism, I kind of really like, and really miss, the more distinctly game-like presentation of Neverwinter Nights 2 or even 1. It's good to have both. I hope someone's gonna start a new trend for comic/cartoon-style graphics, drawn rather than photographed.

So learnt that blizzard added ray traced shadows to burning crusade classic.

I got myself new glasses yesterday, and it now feels like applying a sharpen filter on the foliage renders outside the window. I wonder if I can enable RT… oh wait. ;)

Seriously, though, at one point last year I was doing some shopping or walking over to my aunt's, I can't remember, but the landscape here (and everything else: plants, light, etc.) being very similar to Bohemia — and I was playing KCD at the time — I found myself trying to press E and crouch to pick up a plant in real life to make some potions. It was a very weird realization. And 4K in KCD already felt like walking a couple of miles from here to the forest I'd known as a child. With RT, I guess the illusion would be quite complete.

Last edited:
Associate
This is why I care about RT.

This level of visual fidelty is simply not possible without it..

52079783151_75c5243178_o.jpg

52078789632_d6bbd91d30_o.jpg

52080013889_c8f76ac717_o.jpg

52078743487_ce9be9b5ae_o.jpg

52078742977_e31f8e7a51_o.jpg

52079788373_844aa80afe_o.jpg
Which one of those pictures is so awesome that cannot be seen in a non RT game? As far as i can see all reflections are of on screen objects and WD Legion only has RT reflections. It doesn't look like the best example of how RT can make a difference.

Caporegime
OP
Which one of those pictures is so awesome that cannot be seen in a non RT game? As far as i can see all reflections are of on screen objects and WD Legion only has RT reflections. It doesn't look like the best example of how RT can make a difference.
If you can show a game which achieves similar effects, please post them :) Also, there is more RT happening in them screenshots than just reflections too.

I suppose the developers intentionally made rasterization worse though eh ;) :D :cry:

Associate
If you can show a game which achieves similar effects, please post them :) Also, there is more RT happening in them screenshots than just reflections too.

I suppose the developers intentionally made rasterization worse though eh ;) :D :cry:
I was talking about some screenshots. There is nothing ( or very little in those pictures that cannot be done without RT ), we don't see of screen reflections and we don't have movement to see some occlusion. More over, the guy seems to be impressed by lighting and indeed it looks good. But guess what... that is not ray traced so if you see a scene that looks pretty, sometimes it is the artist that made it that way and not the ultimate tech.

Caporegime
That’s what the majority think. One day the technology will be so good you don’t need marketing or salesman to convince you how essential it is. One day… :)

Caporegime
OP
That’s what the majority think. One day the technology will be so good you don’t need marketing or salesman to convince you how essential it is. One day… :)
Well the problem is when you have people who can't even tell the difference between SSR and RT reflections, you kind of do need marketing and salesmen, see this video:

:D :p

Wouldn't really say it is essential for us consumers though tbf, however, for developers, it is a necessity now.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TNA
Caporegime
Well the problem is when you have people who can't even tell the difference between SSR and RT reflections, you kind of do need marketing and salesmen, see this video:

:D :p

Wouldn't really say it is essential for us consumers though tbf, however, for developers, it is a necessity now.
I turned RT reflections off in Dying Light and things like trees vanished from the reflections so looks like they do work. Neither looked very impressive though tbf so you need to work on your salesman skills to pay those bills. :cry:

Caporegime
OP
I turned RT reflections off in Dying Light and things like trees vanished from the reflections so looks like they do work. Neither looked very impressive though tbf so you need to work on your salesman skills to pay those bills. :cry:
Just found the exact same area, switching on and off RT does nothing different:

Here's a video too:

Restarting the game has no effect either. Notice the good old SSR traits around the weapon when moving in front of the water too..... just like you see in every other game with SSR.

Also, here's a RT on VS off in doom eternal:

Of course, you'll no doubt get people saying in motion, you won't see the difference though :cry:

You had time to compare the 3090 to RDNA 2 to confirm if RT is not fully rendering properly on RDNA 2 hardware like the several other people who have noted these issues in a few games? Know you have done ghostwire (although be good to see other scenes) but what about the other games?

Caporegime
@Nexus :cry: Sorry should have clarified it was not that spot but just a puddle showing a reflection of a tree with RT reflections on and nothing with RT reflections off. I’ll put up some screenshot comparisons for you tomorrow so you can join me in the unimpressed camp.

Caporegime
OP
@Nexus :cry: Sorry should have clarified it was not that spot but just a puddle showing a reflection of a tree with RT reflections on and nothing with RT reflections off. I’ll put up some screenshot comparisons for you tomorrow so you can join me in the unimpressed camp.
Look forward to seeing these kind of RT on vs off comparisons:

Q2YakQP.jpg

gw05JIA.jpg

:cry:

No need to waste your time for DL 2 though :) We already have plenty of comparisons showing how much of a next gen upgrade it is as shown by DF and the other video by wrinkly ;) :D

Caporegime
Look forward to seeing these kind of RT on vs off comparisons:

Q2YakQP.jpg

gw05JIA.jpg

:cry:

No need to waste your time for DL 2 though :) We already have plenty of comparisons showing how much of a next gen upgrade it is as shown by DF and the other video by wrinkly ;) :D
I’m a man of my word I’ll add them soon.

Yeah the lighting is decent at least.

Caporegime
OP
I’m a man of my word I’ll add them soon.

Yeah the lighting is decent at least.
Yup lighting, GI and shadows are the only worthy RT additions to DL 2. Reflections are rather meh, same way RT reflections for FC 6 and resident evil village are very meh. As said before, it's a bit silly to be basing RT reflections on a game(s) that didn't implement it fully across the board like we have seen with other titles though.

Hard to say with 100% certainty but so far, it seems like F1 will be a pretty good showcase for RT reflections:

Indeed.

I have played more RT titles in the last 2 years than I have just rasterization games.

Quite looking forward to trying out the f1 game:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom