Do you DO cards and gifts. Birthdays, valentines etc

Associate
I've never been the type of person that buys cards or gifts for family. Every year my 3 sisters might ask for a whip around to buy mom and dad a present for christmas/birthdays and i'll happily chip in a tenner each or something for my sisters to get them a nice present but i don't personally bother to get them a card or present unless we have a whip around.

Same goes for my girlfriend of 11 years. Out of all the years we've been together, i've probably bought 3 valentines cards and 4 birthday cards/presents. Christmas however i try to get her a nice present, christmas before last i bought her some expensive £100 hair straighteners.

I've got 2 kids and obviously i'll be buying them nice presents for their whole childhood life, but with adults i show a different kind of view. I expect them to understand that i cba with the whole thing of valentines, mothers day, fathers day, birthday etc etc. My whole family have accepted this, but in all honesty i don't thing they give a crap either, they just do it because it's the "nice thing to do"

It doesn't help that my girlfriend is mad on buying cards and she buys everybody one at every given opportunity. She nags me whenever i don't get her a card, but i just tell her that it's not my thing and she shouldn't keep on at me. I say "you can't keep on expecting me to do something just to please you when you don't do what i ask to please me" and it's bloody true. If i was to say "Darling, if you do this, you'll make me very happy, it will mean the world to me" she would likely end up saying get lost sucker :D

I'm like Jack Dee. A miserable bugger. Anybody else like me? :D

Last edited:
Soldato
No, because I like the reaction giving nice gifts to other people gets. When I was younger I loved receiving gifts, but now I'm a bit older I like to give a little back and Christmas and other occasions are as much about giving as they are receiving stuff.

Man of Honour
It depends for me, I'll buy cards and gifts for people I care about but for a number of my mates if the opportunity is there to see them in person and buy them a pint or whatever then I will probably do that instead - it seems like a perfectly fair alternative and they probably appreciate it just as much.

Soldato
OP Im kinda like you. I do not believe in cards - I feel they are really wasteful. With everyone bangin on about "saving forests" and this and that...somehow the greeting card industry seems to have escaped. And what prices are charged for some of them!

Also my family and I dont beleive in any of these commercialized "days" fathers day, sons day, mothers day, this day that day. I kinda find it a bit funny that suddenly people send of gobs of flowers to their Mas on this "day".

We dont need "days" to be reminded me love/care about someone. Same for Valentines...man the industry makes a killing on this one!

All these "days" do is line the pockets of greeting card execs...

The cool thing is all my friends understand my POV and agree with it :) Plenty of other ways to show you appreciate someone rather than a £3.50 (yes I have seen a card cost this much) bit of stiff paper with a barcode on the back (and a note saying its been created *responsibly* and that a tree was planted in a happy forest in Norway to make up for it.)

Last edited:
Soldato
I get cards for people I know it will make happy.

I always get my girlfriend and family them, as they keep them and like to look back on what has been written.

Mates, we have an understanding of just a gift will do.

Soldato
Close family and that's about it, my reasoning being it's difficult to draw the line otherwise and you end up feeling obliged to get presents for everyone you know (and I'm rubbish at buying presents).

Soldato
Really really really hate card shopping, I'd rather spend the money and time actually on the person it's for be it towards a meal out or a few drinks than looking at stacks of cards which nearly have the message I want to put across.

Soldato
Nope, I "make my own". Cards are very overpriced for what they are. I can make something much more personal with a tiny amount of effort.

Even if I'm in a rush I can still slap something out of my home printer that means more than something off the shelf from the Clinton&CorporateSuckers in town.

Soldato
Nope, I "make my own". Cards are very overpriced for what they are. I can make something much more personal with a tiny amount of effort.

Even if I'm in a rush I can still slap something out of my home printer that means more than something off the shelf from the Clinton&CorporateSuckers in town.

Really really really hate card shopping, I'd rather spend the money and time actually on the person it's for be it towards a meal out or a few drinks than looking at stacks of cards which nearly have the message I want to put across.

Agree with both of these, if you are gonna send a card much better to make your own. Even if you absolutely suck at drawing. Because in one stroke it makes it MUCH more personal.

Doesnt have to be a card either, anything youve put a bit of effort into. Nothing like hearing the woman in your life say "You MADE this?.." Score!

Whereas if you BUY a card you are just one of millions of people sending the same card out with the same canned message.

Associate
I see where you're coming from but I think it's an obligation I also ayes sort out cards and gifts and enjoy giving them but it's because I have too tbh. Clintons in town had people queuing out the door yesterday which was a bit ott!

Back
Top Bottom