Do you enjoy your job?

Soldato
I enjoy my job but the hours and responsibilities can be a bit overkill sometimes. I do get a real sense of accomplishment though in my role and although I'd like to get paid more (wouldn't we all), I think I'm in the right place for career development long term.

Scientist who designs how histology, neuropathology and cytology labs work using the latest tech and methods to improve diagnosis rates across the UK and Ireland.

Soldato
60% love it, 30% tolerate it, 10% utterly frustrated by it, stressed by it and absolutely hate it.

Communications director. If those proportions are still the same in a couple of years I'll probably carry on doing something similar for the next 20 years. If not then I'll have attempted a complete career change.

Associate
Yes, love every minute of it.

Insurance Claims Handler, but within a small brand of a larger firm. Means we retain the claims we deal with and oversee the full process, from initially taking down the details of whats happened right down to negotiating liability and also preparing everything for solicitors if anything needs to go to court. I have even had the opportunity of attending court in a fraud case

Caporegime

Insurance Claims Handler, but within a small brand of a larger firm. Means we retain the claims we deal with and oversee the full process, from initially taking down the details of whats happened right down to negotiating liability and also preparing everything for solicitors if anything needs to go to court. I have even had the opportunity of attending court in a fraud case

The Solicitors LOVE you, I bet you get wined and dined :D (I used to work for a firm who is on the panel for most of the big insurers)

Associate
The Solicitors LOVE you, I bet you get wined and dined :D (I used to work for a firm who is on the panel for most of the big insurers)

Ha I wish :D

Have to say the other part I love about my job is that there isn't an us and them mentality with management or even with the executive levels. I work at the head office and the CEO will happily have a chat with anyone and also takes a genuine interest in what people are doing and he's never to busy to help people out

Caporegime
Still semi-enjoy the job, tbh I hate working with people and dealing with monotonous 'problems' that people should be able to figure out themselves, particularly if you use the devices day-in day-out.

Oddly enough I'm going through the process of looking at a claims handler role.

The money is less than I'm on at the moment, and it's a completely different career change to what I would do usually....Just testing the waters at the moment.

Associate
Working on Crossrail as a 'Chainman' (I help the survey team with stuff). You're welcome for the delay and extra costs :D JK!

I've enjoyed it very much and still do most of the time. Whilst the pay is poor compared to many on here (£25,000 - £28,000 P/A), it's literally transformed my life. Before this project I owned next to nothing. I was raised by a single parent who hasn't worked for 20 years (almost my whole life). I'd be lucky to have money for food and the means to cook it. Every employer I contacted wanted experience I just didn't have. But with Crossrail, they gave me a chance as an Apprentice at first then two years later when I passed, kept me on. It's a tough job at times because we have to work in freezing/boiling weather. But it's rewarding. The train stations I've worked on feel like a legacy. They'll far outlive me I hope! :)

Associate
I don't like work period. I just hate working, my job isn't terrible, I've had much worse but I'm a low earner, I'd kill to earn the average UK annual salary but I doubt that's going to happen, so can't even really be thankful for the money :(

Caporegime
I'd rather not have to work for a corporation and play golf or sail all day, however my job is good as jobs go.

My average day makes me feel equally stupid and clever, which I think is actually quite a good measurement of a satisfying job.

Soldato
Been working in the jack-of-all-trades IT Support sector for a couple of decades. I used to enjoy the job but these last few years the expectation increasingly seems to be that IT staff should spend their own time and money whenever anyone buys in a new technology or rolls out a new platform. It's leaving me burnt out and disillusioned with the role as there's no training, support or guidance. Similarly there doesn't seem to be any kind of remuneration/progression despite the effort I'm seemingly expected to put in outside of work. I don't see things going any way other than redundancy/outsourcing.

I wouldn't recommend IT Support to anyone now. I'm starting to feel if it's going to require that I continually invest my own time/money on training on a whim just to keep myself afloat and in a job I think it might be better spent elsewhere. Time for a change I reckon.

Last edited:

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
Supervisor on a tube station... I'm actually really enjoying it at the mo. As I'm not in central London (yet) I get to work alone most of the time, so busy enough that I can do everything I need to and still take it easy when it's quiet.

Man of Honour
Supervisor on a tube station... I'm actually really enjoying it at the mo. As I'm not in central London (yet) I get to work alone most of the time, so busy enough that I can do everything I need to and still take it easy when it's quiet.

Might be a bit strange, but if I wasn't so hell bent on working in IT, working my way up from a CSA would be one of my dream career paths.

I had an ex who's dad spent most of his working life with TFL, I could spend hours listening to all the stories and experiences he had.

Soldato
IT consultant.

I used to enjoy it but as I've progressed I'm feeling more and more burnt out or feeling the imposter syndrome.

I think its mainly down to my employer, im left to my own devices as long as the work gets done and things are working but im expected to know anything up and coming inside out with zero direction from the company so it makes it incredibly frustrating on how to position my skills within the company or even know where I stand.

Commissario
I've always wondered what it would be like to do that, any chance you can say which station?

Man of Honour
I wrote a huge draft post on this agonising over the pros and cons of my job. My ‘boss’ came over to me just now and said: “get out whilst you can. It’s too stressful, soul destroying and you will end up wishing you spent your one life elsewhere. It’s just too stressful.” - well, that all that needs to be said really. It’s... OK. Paid well but the attractive aspects of the jobs are often outweighed by stress.

Legal sector.

Back
Top Bottom