Do you enjoy your job?

Soldato
I used to enjoy my job a lot, worked with great people, very flexible with hours, overtime etc but middle management were terrible, to the point i could have done a better job with my eyes closed, absolutely useless.

Now i work in a different environment contracting and although the money is good, the people, management, hours etc are all bad, i now work with some of the whiniest people ever, they cry about everything and nothing is kept quiet in this place to the point i can't even trust the person i work with because as soon as my back is turned, they are off telling someone else what we have just spoken about.

I now keep myself to myself, rarely interact with people unless i have to, don't speak to anyone about my private life, don't help anyone out because it isn't returned, basically i'm here for the money and nothing else, i think it may be time to move on.

I need to sort my CV out and start offering my services further afield than Birmingham.

Caporegime
No. Do not enjoy it. Or like it. Its not as bad as previous jobs though!

Tier 2 application support for an insurance software company.

Previous jobs were general IT support lackie for a few outsourced IT companies. Totally horrendous. Stressful and not worth it.

Need to figure out what else I can do with my life...

My manager is a star though, couldn't ask for anyone better, and I work with one of my best mates which makes the grind a bit easier cos I can pester him on Lync... :p

Soldato
I used to enjoy my job a lot, worked with great people, very flexible with hours, overtime etc but middle management were terrible, to the point i could have done a better job with my eyes closed, absolutely useless.

Now i work in a different environment contracting and although the money is good, the people, management, hours etc are all bad, i now work with some of the whiniest people ever, they cry about everything and nothing is kept quiet in this place to the point i can't even trust the person i work with because as soon as my back is turned, they are off telling someone else what we have just spoken about.

I now keep myself to myself, rarely interact with people unless i have to, don't speak to anyone about my private life, don't help anyone out because it isn't returned, basically i'm here for the money and nothing else, i think it may be time to move on.

I need to sort my CV out and start offering my services further afield than Birmingham.

This is what I'm in the process of doing. Officially started 2 weeks ago.

Soldato
I do, I have days (Or nights!) but nights especially sometimes where we are literally none stop for 12 hours, to the point where we get a job at the end of our Meal break window and you end up being an hour before the end of a 12 hour shift and you are just that tired that you spend your 45 minutes asleep in the cab. I get more and more exhausted the later on in the shift pattern I get (I do 2 days, 2 nights, 4 off with 18 days off every 7 weeks) and by the 7th week I am more likely to be less tolerant to idiots that are smashed out of their face on drink/and or drugs... however they will be treated as needed.

Like any job, I have gripes with the way we do things, the way staff are treated but you can apply this in any work place.

However, I have had shifts where I've saved lives, I've done CPR on all ages and had positive results and known them walk out of hospital a few weeks later.. I've delivered babies and seen some sights that would make a lot of people cringe!

Would I be doing anything different? probably not!!

I work as an Ambulance Technician for the Ambulance Service.

Soldato
I can't say i have ever really enjoyed working in preference to not working. Its a means to an end. Of course there are "moments" in all jobs where you get a buzz but recent experience in my industry means those are quite rare. I've reached a point in my career where I get paid pretty well and have no debt so its all a question of saving/investing so I don't have to work 50 hours a week or full time beyond 55. I'm 47.8 currently. I find seeing other people develop and the coaching element of my job the most rewarding. The politics and macho culture the least impressive. I changed companies this year which was a massive thing but its largely the same ~$*! just paid better and with better benefits - some of which are wasted on me as I don't love cars!! I've got a wife and two teenage kids to work for so thats mostly my motivation as well as my personal pride in being seen to do a decent job. I always like to think I've earned my money but I realise I am fortunate in terms of what I get compared to a lot of other hard working people.

Soldato
I always like to think I've earned my money but I realise I am fortunate in terms of what I get compared to a lot of other hard working people.

That's a hugely mature approach/way of thinking and I commend on you that. A lot of folk simply do not realise how fortunate they are to do be earning what they do.

Effort put in rarely equates to an equal outcome. And the gaps can be huge.

I'm 47.8 currently.

Got anything more specific? :D

Associate
Supply Chain Operations.

Been at my place for 5 years now. One of the biggest companies in the world in Logistics and Supply Chain. The work is mundane and the pay is ****. Used to really enjoy going to work only for the people as used to have a right laugh. Now most of the good ones have left.

Constantly in hope of progressing, never seems to happen. Jobs are not advertised internally anymore just handed to those in the clique. I'm constantly ignored for promotion despite being one of the most popular, sociable (and best looking) guys in the office. Feel like I've learnt no new skills over the last few years and I have fully been in the comfort zone and scared of change. Feel woken now to the fact I need to move on. Just wish I knew what to move onto.

Soldato
Supply Chain Operations.

Been at my place for 5 years now. One of the biggest companies in the world in Logistics and Supply Chain. The work is mundane and the pay is ****. Used to really enjoy going to work only for the people as used to have a right laugh. Now most of the good ones have left.

Constantly in hope of progressing, never seems to happen. Jobs are not advertised internally anymore just handed to those in the clique. I'm constantly ignored for promotion despite being one of the most popular, sociable (and best looking) guys in the office. Feel like I've learnt no new skills over the last few years and I have fully been in the comfort zone and scared of change. Feel woken now to the fact I need to move on. Just wish I knew what to move onto.

To the same role at a competitor?

Soldato
I used to voluntarily stay late unpaid to do stuff, roll out changes or do things to improve our department. I've reached the stale point now where I struggle getting out of bed in the mornings.

I'm now looking at relocating and taking a pay cut for quality of life. Maybe doing something different altogether.

Last edited:
Soldato
I love my job, love the people and company I work for. Found the right one and even though I could generally earn more elsewhere I would hate to wake up every morning dreading going to work. I still earn enough to live on happily so no problems. I'm an Infrastructure Engineer, currently planning our new Hybrid Cloud and HCI.

Caporegime
I love my job (Air Traffic Controller). I'd still rather win the lottery and not have to work though :)

I reckon that is probs a good test, the question of whether you would still do your job or at least do something in that field if you won the lottery.

I suspect that for people who turn up at work, do something fairly repetitive and then go home the answer would be that they’d perhaps quit. Whether that be low paid call centre staff or high paid air traffic controllers.

I’d suppose that people who do something creative (I mean that in a broad sense covering anything from actors to programmers) would be more likely to carry on. Albeit the actor might well also start funding their own plays/short films etc... and the programmer might be more inclined to take the risk of launching a startup.

Man of Honour
I reckon that is probs a good test, the question of whether you would still do your job or at least do something in that field if you won the lottery.

I suspect that for people who turn up at work, do something fairly repetitive and then go home the answer would be that they’d perhaps quit. Whether that be low paid call centre staff or high paid air traffic controllers.

I’d suppose that people who do something creative (I mean that in a broad sense covering anything from actors to programmers) would be more likely to carry on. Albeit the actor might well also start funding their own plays/short films etc... and the programmer might be more inclined to take the risk of launching a startup.
At that point it’s less of a job and more of a hobby :p

I’ve think I’ve said this elsewhere but I think to have a good job it has to score above 24/40 when totting up scores out of 10 in the following categories (a higher score out of 10 being better). 20/40 would be ok and maybe 30/40 would be epic.

How stimulating it is
How stressful it is (zero stress = 10)
Work life balance / ‘take home’ factor (great WLB = 10)
Pay in isolation and without reference to work life balance (in terms of how much it enables you to live your life without the stress that comes with a lack of money)

I have to make clear that for the last category in that you could be 10/10 on £30k a year if that enabled you to live without the stress of no money and you were happy with it. 10/10 isn’t reserved for millionaires.

I’d probably go:

Stimulating: 7/10
Stressful: 4/10
Work life balance: 5/10
Pay: 8/10

Putting me in a good job at 24/40.... just.

Caporegime

I guess in a way you could say they're hobbies as they're things people enjoy and would do in spite of the fact they don't need to work but that was sort of the point. If you'd happily carry on in that field despite winning the lottery and having way more money than you need to live on then you really do enjoy your job, you're already doing something you truly enjoy etc..

edit:

For another example - Amal Clooney, she's married to George and together they have more money than pretty much any lottery winner yet she's more than happy to carry on working as a Barrister. She does work that I presume to be quite stimulating and requiring plenty of problem solving, creativity etc..

I'd suspect that if she was instead a solicitor doing say conveyancing at some small town office by the local chip shop then she'd probably not be so keen to carry on doing what is perhaps a more mundane and repetitive task.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm in a weird situation in that I love the company I work for and the pay and benefits at the top end of the market but I just don't like what I do and the associated travel is beginning to become very old. On a weekly basis I'm either in Atlanta, Columbus, Berlin or London (often multiples in the same week) and live in Notts.

The young jet setters I work with love it but I'm 41 now and have always been a home lad and much prefer the quiet life. Constant flights, commutes and hotels have also not been great for my health which seems to have deteriorated in the last 2 years so I've hopefully secured a way out of the lifestyle early next year.

SPG

SPG

Soldato

I’ve think I’ve said this elsewhere but I think to have a good job it has to score above 24/40 when totting up scores out of 10 in the following categories (a higher score out of 10 being better). 20/40 would be ok and maybe 30/40 would be epic.

How stimulating it is
How stressful it is (zero stress = 10)
Work life balance / ‘take home’ factor (great WLB = 10)
Pay in isolation and without reference to work life balance (in terms of how much it enables you to live your life without the stress that comes with a lack of money)

I have to make clear that for the last category in that you could be 10/10 on £30k a year if that enabled you to live without the stress of no money and you were happy with it. 10/10 isn’t reserved for millionaires.

I’d probably go:

Stimulating: 7/10
Stressful: 4/10
Work life balance: 5/10
Pay: 8/10

Putting me in a good job at 24/40.... just.

Nope, creative job here, the first sniff of a lottery win, then see ya... buy a camper van, get a dog and travel around Europe for a 4 years, drinking red wine, enjoying sun sets, reading my book and generally avoiding people, then sell the camper can pay stupid fees to get the dog into the USA and do the same thing in the USA for another 4. Only then would i consider buying a house with a suitable outbuilding for a small workshop with a wood turning, lathe and milling machine :)

Soldato
I'm in a weird situation in that I love the company I work for and the pay and benefits at the top end of the market but I just don't like what I do and the associated travel is beginning to become very old. On a weekly basis I'm either in Atlanta, Columbus, Berlin or London (often multiples in the same week) and live in Notts.

The young jet setters I work with love it but I'm 41 now and have always been a home lad and much prefer the quiet life. Constant flights, commutes and hotels have also not been great for my health which seems to have deteriorated in the last 2 years so I've hopefully secured a way out of the lifestyle early next year.

What is your job?

Back
Top Bottom