Do you enjoy your job?

Caporegime
I don't know how anyone can enjoy travelling long distance on a weekly basis with work, especially if it's to the same locations. Great whilst young and single with plenty of time on your hands as it will usually skyrocket your progression and looks fantastic on a CV, doing it for decades though must be brutal.

Associate
1. 95% of the time yes, love it
2. Infrastructure lead / technical pm
Never a dull day (if you're into this sort of thing), autonomous to a degree, mentor younger and upcoming people which is excellent, and travel every now and then globally.
Downside, extreme pressure come project crunch-times with drop dead dates.

Associate
In many respects I don’t mind the job. I work in the nicest part of town, and work is a half hour riverside walk from my house. It’s pretty much a 9 till half 5 job 99% of the time, no shifts, rare that you have to work longer and if you do it’s paid for at reasonably generous rates (especially at the weekend). The people who work in my office are nice enough on the whole. My boss is fairly laid back and seems a decent enough lad (I don’t know him well as he’s based in a remote office) from our odd conversations. The pay is competitive but the job itself isn’t particularly well salaried across the industry. I earn about national average wage give or take. It is “my” office to support in that I look after the whole office on my own so there is a bit of movement with how you run things.

I am generally speaking a 2nd line support technician. However, the job has a strong slant towards customer service over technical, although it does give some scope for a bit of techy stuff, you’re kept at arms length from anything where you could do any damage, and we seem to get things slowly stripped out of the role year by year. Unfortunately I can see my job being outsourced in the not too distant future.

So in reality do I enjoy it? I would have to say no. There feels as though there is little room to progress. Despite being told I am doing a good job I’m continually ignored/looked over. One pay rise in 4 years, although in their defence I have had a bonus every year. You can get promotions but they only seem to go to those who’s face fits, and in all honesty, I’m not made to feel as though I am a good fit for the company. A guy 15 years my junior and a lot less experience got promoted this year, I’m still waiting. I am quite friendly with this guy who got the promotion, and he admits to having zero passion for the job but it’s gone alright for him. I’m happy for him but frustrated that after 20 years in this industry I am yet to make any decent progress nor end up doing something I really enjoy.

Also not related to the company, but the the continual rubbish problems just add to the misery. Windows 10 is a hateful OS full of bugs, and the additional apps and services installed by the company make it even worse. My work laptop is a brand new computer and yet it runs like a dog and I often have fairly major software issues with it. Half the time it feels like an obstacle not a tool that will help. I know it will get better eventually, but I am sick of waiting! It’s not like its me either, like most on here, I’ve built many of my own PCs so I know them pretty well. Unfortunately 20 years of this has spoiled my enthusiasm for what used to be a hobby.

So no, I don’t look forward to it, am feeling quite unmotivated and feel like I would like to do something else, but the job is safe, and stable and doesn’t intrude in my life so I just keep plugging away. I am not actually sure where to start if I wanted a change, I feel totally stuck in a rut.

Soldato
So no, I don’t look forward to it, am feeling quite unmotivated and feel like I would like to do something else, but the job is safe, and stable and doesn’t intrude in my life so I just keep plugging away. I am not actually sure where to start if I wanted a change, I feel totally stuck in a rut.

I have this stuck to my monitor at work

Comfort is the enemy of progress

Unless you step out your comfort zone then nothing is going to change. You only get one life, so why stay there and be miserable?

Soldato
100% this. We don't put ourselves out there for fear of so many things but we end up just doing the same stuff round and round, completely unfulfilled in our lives.

With that, my contract is soooo boring :D I've got a new team leading the project of further roll outs of the software I'm ASM on, and as such I have a week FULL of meetings. I really don't care, but have to go tow the line and do the stuff. Ugh. Saying that, I want the job to carry on past the end of contract next month due to the ease and comfort :p but that's only because my persuit of greatness is outside of this role. If this was where I was putting all my efforts, I'd be out and trying to do something different.

Associate
I have this stuck to my monitor at work

Unless you step out your comfort zone then nothing is going to change. You only get one life, so why stay there and be miserable?

True but I've applied for 3 jobs in the last 4 months and not even so much as an interview. One of those included a secondment to a role that I'm sure I'd have been perfect dor. The job I'm doing now is all I know and even then I'm probably under qualified for most due to the erosion of my usual duties.

To be fair I would rather do something else entirely than IT it's been ruined for me. However when I apply for jobs that are different then unsurprisingly I don't even get a reply.

I'm trying to pay down debts so I can't afford to retrain myself and frankly after a day at work the last thing I want to do is more work/training. I'm usually mentally drained by then.

I possibly just need to change my viewpoint of the job, I've cared too much for too long and it's not good for my health getting rejection after rejection spanning back 20 years. I'm tired and just can't be bothered with any of it anymore.

There are a lot worse jobs to be fair but it would be nice just to even get some recognition in the one I've got, that would probably help. I dare say I've burned my bridges though as recently we had a staff feedback and I gave my honest feedback and I don't think it was appreciated!

Permabanned
I worked in IT as an ePoS engineer, break fix, wireless surveillance, McDonald's (the fast food one) infrastructure, and Comms engineer all rolled into the one role. With occasional CISCO scripting.

The pay was not bad but the OT was awesome.
Anyway, got sick of driving all over the country and now work for the NHS as a physio technical instructor. Pay is terrible but its office hours Monday to Friday and I love help rehabilitate people.
Really enjoy my job and I'm not half as pressured or stressed despite still having an overall urgency to "fix" people asap and free up beds.

Soldato
True but I've applied for 3 jobs in the last 4 months and not even so much as an interview. One of those included a secondment to a role that I'm sure I'd have been perfect dor. The job I'm doing now is all I know and even then I'm probably under qualified for most due to the erosion of my usual duties.

To be fair I would rather do something else entirely than IT it's been ruined for me. However when I apply for jobs that are different then unsurprisingly I don't even get a reply.

I'm trying to pay down debts so I can't afford to retrain myself and frankly after a day at work the last thing I want to do is more work/training. I'm usually mentally drained by then.

I possibly just need to change my viewpoint of the job, I've cared too much for too long and it's not good for my health getting rejection after rejection spanning back 20 years. I'm tired and just can't be bothered with any of it anymore.

There are a lot worse jobs to be fair but it would be nice just to even get some recognition in the one I've got, that would probably help. I dare say I've burned my bridges though as recently we had a staff feedback and I gave my honest feedback and I don't think it was appreciated!

I know the feeling, I have been applying for jobs in the same amount of time as you, 61 jobs so far and had one phone interview. Then I got my CV redone, it has helped and I have been more getting interviews now. Still been hit with disappointments (as mentioned in another thread) but I have been persistent and been applying everyday. Thanks to LinkedIn, I have 3 Skype interviews this week. Two of them are 2nd interviews from a month ago.

Most of us have jobs which drain us by the end of the day but if you want to progress further in anything in life, you have to simply get on with it otherwise you go nowhere.

I am bored of my job, been here for 9 years doing 2nd/3rd line support and I cant be bothered anymore being here.....that's because of comfort. But at least I am doing something to get me out of here which makes doing my job bearable.

Soldato
I was going to say... 3 applications is beyond nothing. It's not easy and the tenacity required is a lot. Be prepared to be beaten down a bit, but you are likely to need to send out well over 100 and be prepared to be flexible, if you have no ties. You need to utilise your network, as above, work through tailoring each application and CV to that specific job, each time. It's all about personal brand management, and a lot of work. Most people give up after a few rejections/ lack of responses.

Associate
I was going to say... 3 applications is beyond nothing. It's not easy and the tenacity required is a lot. Be prepared to be beaten down a bit, but you are likely to need to send out well over 100 and be prepared to be flexible, if you have no ties. You need to utilise your network, as above, work through tailoring each application and CV to that specific job, each time. It's all about personal brand management, and a lot of work. Most people give up after a few rejections/ lack of responses.

Fair point.

To be honest I'm probably more annoyed about not getting recognition in my role above anything else.

However I'm trying to sort my head out and the last couple of weeks I've decided not to let anything bother me anymore and so far at least I feel a lot happier about things. Hopefully I can keep this going because it was really starting to affect my mental health.

Next year will try and do some training (the company is offering 40 hours of training for everyone in the team) so I am going to see if I can get trained up in something else, something a bit more future proof.

Soldato
I think I'm on the fence at the moment when it comes to enjoyment.
Currently Head of Business and Computing at a public school, earning a decent amount and for the most part, I love it!
Holidays, Work Perks, Locality (I live a 20min walk away just outside of catchment) and the fact that my daughter attends the local nursery a 3 minute walk away its VERY comfortable.

I am now at the stage in my career where I want progression and I think that is limiting my enjoyment now. Find myself not being challenged enough and looking for a change.

Is it worth chucking it all in for a gamble of a promotion?

Caporegime
I love my team at work but I hate the job. If I won the lottery I wouldn't back out of the door saying "screw you suckers!" but I would still quit. Might even hand out some cheques.

I really want to change tack with my career but it's all I've got experience in (app support) if I start again with something different I'll end up taking a paycut which I can't afford with my lifestyle. Sacrifices would need to be made... And I'm not on much as it is!

The other (and more major) issue is that I have no idea what I want to do in life... And that is honestly horrible.

I'm 23. People I know my age have jobs they love, houses, partners, etc. I'm sure they have different demons, cos everyone does. But it doesn't help seeing everyone seemingly enjoying what they do and doing better than me when I have no plan.

Soldato
I love my team at work but I hate the job. If I won the lottery I wouldn't back out of the door saying "screw you suckers!" but I would still quit. Might even hand out some cheques.

I really want to change tack with my career but it's all I've got experience in (app support) if I start again with something different I'll end up taking a paycut which I can't afford with my lifestyle. Sacrifices would need to be made... And I'm not on much as it is!

The other (and more major) issue is that I have no idea what I want to do in life... And that is honestly horrible.

I'm 23. People I know my age have jobs they love, houses, partners, etc. I'm sure they have different demons, cos everyone does. But it doesn't help seeing everyone seemingly enjoying what they do and doing better than me when I have no plan.

Dont worry about others are doing, only worrry about yourself.

23.....ha! You are still young and have plenty of years to figure out what you want to do.

The internet is the most powerful tool you can have in todays world. Use it and explore, figure out what path you could take.

Soldato
Hell no. Involved in a government project which has never been done to this scale in any country, ever before.

It will free up the national grid and lower emissions by a crazy amount, as well as creating more consumer choice..... but the journey to get there is quite literally horrible.

Soldato
I've just been diagnosed with depression.

I've been doing the same job in the same place for 2 years and am on the same benefit package.

However our company was taken over and within a couple of months half the management team have left and at least 3 I know of, including myself, are on anti-depressants.

I love my job, mainly, I just hate who I do it for right now!

Back
Top Bottom