Do you enjoy your job?

Soldato
Just thought it would be interesting to know whether people actually enjoy their job overall?

Is it just something to pay the bills or do you actually look forward to "smashing the week"

For me I dread everyday and die inside every time I'm at work

A poll would be nice to get an overall picture

Soldato
Yes. We spend the majority of our waking lives at work, so if I didn't enjoy it....well, I guess I wouldn't like the majority of my life. You only get one life so....

If I didn't like my job, I'd find a new one.

IT Manager / Technical Architect
I manage a team of engineers across five sites (3 uk, 2 international)

Probably the main reason I enjoy work is that I can basically do anything I want

Last edited:
Caporegime
1) I work for myself in a boring industry, corrugated (cardboard) boxes and displays....but I quite enjoy it.

2) Sales & Design.

Because it involves manufacturing which tends finish at 5:30 p.m., it doesn't really intrude on my life, so I can usually I can switch off straight away after work and at the weekend and I don't get many emails then.

Soldato
I would be interested in knowing;

1. Do you enjoy your job?

2. What do you do for a job?

1. Most of the time

2. Civil engineering. Mainly designing bridges though occasionally get something boring like a station. I'd say 90% of projects I work on are for Network Rail and rest on highways

Last edited:
Soldato
I do, but I'm enjoying it less and less. I'm being micro managed at some level and it's making me enjoy work less and less.

I like this company and I don't want to leave, so I'm looking at making changes within the company and within the way I work so that I can continue to do a good job of it.

Caporegime
I enjoy it in the sense I'm free to get on with projects at my own pace, very little management required as I don't take the mick even though I'm home based 4 days a week, others need micromanaging.

Is it what I would do if I could choose to do anything? No, but we all have our limitations and realistic opportunities.

Associate
1. Not at all really. Although now I have reached a certain life goal, it is about to change. I am now fully pushing the advancement of my business for myself without the need for constant turnover :)
2. Civil Engineer / Designer & Surveyor

Permabanned
I've had both as a software engineer. It's great when you're building stuff and everything you do matters. Then it's rubbish when there's nothing to do, or when you're doing things you don't believe in.

Soldato
Self employed.

Technically do I get a 'kick' out of what I do? I am good at it, but no.

However I like the idea that to some degree I can drive my own earning power, and that is what gets me out of bed in the morning.

Man of Honour
Yeah very much so, although it can be very stressful and tiring at times.

I'm a partner in a tour operator, work from home and set my own hours etc. Travel a lot researching new destinations for our company and also leading tours with our clients. Clients are mostly extreme well travelled so laid back about any small issues along the way. Also get interviewed on TV and Radio a reasonable amount as what we do is fairly niche which is a fun challenge, used to hate public speaking but getting better at it.

Associate
1. Yes, very much, although I'm leaving in two weeks, and who knows what I'll end up doing after that.

2. I do a variety of English teaching things. One day is teaching staff at a pharmaceutical company, one day is an evening class for uni students, one is a private class for a professor of microbiology at that same uni, along with his wife and kids separately, one day is MBA students, Sunday is a group of students from a school I worked at which shut down, and I previously taught at a community college, but that was far too many hours for half what I'd earn elsewhere.

In all those jobs, I enjoy having almost complete freedom to teach what and how I want. No co teachers, no supervisors or managers observing me, no office hours, just turn up, teach, go home.

I also do some translation, transcription and proof reading on the side, but that comes and goes.

... Still not entirely sure why I'm leaving :p

Back
Top Bottom