Do you have anything next to your bed?

Man of Honour
Never thought of that. If I blinded the intruder in one eye with 3 or 4 well placed pellets, would I be nicked for GBH and prosecuted? I'd like to to think it would come under self defence.

My guess is that you'd be arrested, probably not prosecuted, almost certainly not convicted. For example, a case that went to court involved a person inside a house shooting a person outside the house and killing them. They were acquitted on the grounds of reasonable force on the basis that the person outside was going to break in and attack them. Defence laws are very strong here. The hypothetical intruder in your scenario is an immediate threat to your life, so you'd have a wide scope for reasonable force. Think of it this way - if you were on a jury in such a case, would you convict the defendant? I wouldn't unless they'd shot the intruder after the intruder had ceased to be a threat.

I have some not at all a weapon objects that I could use, including (amusingly) a staff. Not a quarterstaff, which wouldn't be much use inside a normal-sized house anyway, but a staff. And a knife and a couple of hammers. Throw hammer, follow up with other hammer, staff or knife. Although I'd prefer escape because it's likely that the intruder would be better at violence than I am, if need be I'd assume they intended to kill me and act accordingly.

Soldato
Why are they both next to your bed? That's the odd part :p

For the reasons asked in the op. Had a drug crazed intruder recently.

Sushi is rice cooked in some way I've forgotten the details of, not uncooked fish. Although I've no idea why someone would need a knife for rice.

The uncooked fish is called something else. Sashimi, I think. Something like that.

You learn something new everyday! I've never had Sashimi or Sushi. I thought sushi knife was a reasonable guess for the name of the type it is. It's one of wider knives from the nest*.

*It probably isn't called a nest either.

Soldato
Never thought of that. If I blinded the intruder in one eye with 3 or 4 well placed pellets, would I be nicked for GBH and prosecuted? I'd like to to think it would come under self defence.

the real question would by why you kept it conveniently loaded and gassed up ready for action at home, iirc there's a clause in the uk's home defence about having weapons specifically prepared for the event of a break-in (although they're pretty loose on using anything handy as a weapon as long as its reasonable response to the threat)

If you could place 4 pellets in one eye you'd be getting called up for the olympics.

whilst i agree that intending to do so would be some fancy shooting, the amount of times i've been smacked straight in the eye (and right hand little finger) when airsofting tells me it's apparently not that hard :D :D :D

at least you could claim as a firearm it's non-lethal by design, and in the majority of cases (lucky eye/tooth shots notwithstanding) it's incapable of causing any real permanent damage. plus ofc a good metal airsoft pistol would make a half-decent club in the almost certain event that shooting them does nothing more than imbue a seconds distraction followed by big dollop of rage in your intruder.

but tbh probably easier to pick something else, if the intruder has a proper gun then waving an airsoft gun at him is going to rapidly increase your chances of personal perforation compared to something less visually threatening.

Man of Honour
[..]
You learn something new everyday! I've never had Sashimi or Sushi. I thought sushi knife was a reasonable guess for the name of the type it is. It's one of wider knives from the nest*.

*It probably isn't called a nest either.

I only found out a few years ago. It's a very common misunderstanding. I think I only looked because I'd seen some vegetable sushi and that made me wonder.

I've no idea what the name of the knife would be, or the collective noun for knives. I haven't done any proper cooking for about 20 years and it was pretty basic stuff before then.

I've felt obliged to look up the details because I'd forgotten them. Sushi is rice with vinegar. The raw fish is sashimi. Although apparently sushi is commonly used as a blanket term in Japan because there are various different dishes with sushi (i.e. vinegar rice) that are called <something> sushi and apparently people quite often shorten the names to sushi. Sounds plausible to me in itself and as the origin of the misunderstanding here.

Soldato
Yes, having being the victim of burglary before and then having the police refuse to go after the **** who legged it and then the next day releasing the one I'd caught and detained without charge despite him being bang to rights (caught in my living room with pockets full of our items and dressed in all the usual burglars garb (two sets of trousers, gloves and masked up)) and not even investigating the crime after handing over a crime number, I now keep a few things strategically placed around my bedroom.

I have a solid ebony walking cane with decent lump of metal atop it, another walking stick, this one has a sharp, pointy surprise hiding inside for that 'Crocodile Dundee moment', a rather hefty hard rubber mallet with decent grip tape around the handle and a wrist strap. And a scythe.

Man of Honour
If you genuinely have a "weapon" near your bed for defending your home against potential invaders, you have a much higher chance of having it taken off you and used against you than anything else.

Unless of course, you can completely dominate your staircase.

Soldato
Seeing me coming at them starkers will be enough to make them brick it, especially if I do a kung-fu style open leg squat while letting rip with a burp and doing a bruce lee style scream at the same time.
Could also shine torch on groin while muttering Chucky like talk "I'll be your friend till the end".

Back
Top Bottom